Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 05:22 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
chinon body + pentax flash - will it work?

hi

I have chinons ce-4s and cp-5 and want to buy cobra 700af flash. the only problem is, I don't know whether they will cooperate. the cobra has more pins than I'm having on chinons' hot-shoes. is it possible or am I only able to use single contact flashes?

06-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The extra pins of the flash don't have any effect on the camera body. The camera will use only the center contact for sync signal (and side contacts for ground). You need to use the camera in manual mode, with shutter speed equal to or slower then X speed.

If the flash does not have auto mode, it will always fire at full power. You will need to adjust the lens's aperture according to the distance from the flash to the object being photographed.

I've been using many different flash units (see my signature below) with my Ricoh GX200, whose hot shoe has only a center contact.
06-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For my Cp-7m, I only found 2 non-Chinon flashes that would work using the dedicated features and both of those were SunPak models. What it gave up was essentially the maximum sync speed. Without a dedicated flash, it defaulted to 1/60. It may be different for the cp5. Maybe you should go to Butkus' site and look through the manuals and see (Flash and Body manuals).
06-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
so you mean for example, Sunpak Auto 26DX would work nicely?
SUNPAK AUTO 26DX manual regulacja mocy, ZOBACZ!!!! (1685123899) - Aukcje internetowe Allegro
it has three pins

06-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter

It has to have 3 pins to be Dedicated, BUT 3 pins doesn't automatically mean that it is dedicated. I don't see the manual for that lens at Butkus' site so can't verify if it is dedicated in the program mode or not.

Electronic flash, 35mm camera flash, 35mm light meter instruction manual, user manual, free PFD camera manuals

CHINON Camera Manuals
06-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I had the SunPak 2000dz and it worked on my Chinon until it died several years ago.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/sunpak_auto2000dz.pdf

I only recall 2 SunPak flashes being dedicated to Chinon as well as some of the Chinon flashes. I can't remember the other Chinon Dedicated SunPak. I can't seem to find it in the manuals at Butkus.