Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flash accessories

Does anyone have any experience with the Omni-Bounce or the Lumiquest flash accessories for softening and diffusing the light from a hot shoe flash such as the AF-360FGZ? Good, bad, waste of money??? Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,
CN

11-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I used the Stofen Omnibounce on my 540 - its a good $20 investment... Gives much more even light than just bouncing. I like it.
11-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. That's the kind of opinion I was looking for.

CN
11-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
and
Veteran Member

I have both, that is, I have a sto-fen and I have a couple of lumiquest accessories, but I dont have their version of the omni-bounce. Each product is designed to do different things, the sto-fen is a bare-bulb flash emulator. whereas the lumiquest pocket bounce I have is kinda like a big, shaped white card that allows me to bounce into something when I am outdoors. I read the lumiquest version of the omni-bounce can be folded flat, thats a nice feature if it true, and it seems it is more of a one size fits all than the sto-fen which needs to be bought specifically to fit one flash head. So I cant really compare these since they dont do the same thing, they are ok for what they do though. I think the 80-20 version of the sto fen could be interesting.

11-16-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Andreas

CN
11-17-2007, 05:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I made my own for less than $2 in materials and about 15 minutes of my time.

Here's where I got the design: DIY Reflector-Diffuser
11-17-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Matt:

That looks like not only an inexpensive easy-to-do project which should work about as well as a commercial unit, but also a neat web-site which I've added to my favorites. Many thanks.

CN

11-17-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
and
Veteran Member

as for DIY there is also this one ABetterBounceCard.com
11-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Andreas:

Looks like nothing could be simpler, and certainly puts to rest any thoughts of purchasing a professionally made unit. I suspect that any who have done that and then see this video may turn a slight shade of green. I have the AF-360FGZ which doesn't swivel, but see no reason why this approach shouldn't work just as well for me.

Thanks,
CN
11-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are a few shots I took at a Halloween party with the "home made" better bounce card. Made it out of some photo paper, and as I am a total newbie when it comes to flash photography, I think these came out pretty well. Using a cheap Pro Master 5550DX flash.

11-18-2007, 04:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
Matt:

That looks like not only an inexpensive easy-to-do project which should work about as well as a commercial unit, but also a neat web-site which I've added to my favorites. Many thanks.

CN
I did make one simple design change. Rather than stapling the black foam to the white foam, (or sewing them together, as some do) I used velcro dots. Makes it look cleaner, it's quick and easy, and so far seems to work just fine.

I've made two versions, one to the dimensions shown on Gardner's website, and one made closer to the dimensions of the better bounce card.

They work great, and are dirt cheap to boot.
11-18-2007, 05:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Very nice photo of Dr. Cummings and Dr. Bush.

Those thumbnails don't do justice to the linked images.