Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
recommend a new flash?

All ive been using is the native flash on the k10d. and today was taking a bunch of inside shots, only had one lamp on in the room, and the flash helped...barely.

what are some budget alternatives? would like to know if there are flashes that i can use either on or off the camera, depending on the shot (without needing two flashes). something cheaper is preferred because I think I intend to not need it all the time, but im open to suggestions. would be for things like a familiy portrait at home, but i dont need to have-or bust out-reflectors, umbrellas et al. i think I'd get an umbrella to the backside of the head!

thanks

11-17-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The answer to your question depends largely upon whether you wish to use a P-TTL compatible flash or not. If you want it, you're limited to a few models....none of which I would consider "budget". If you can live with having the flash output controlled by the flash alone (rather than communicating with the camera), then you have wider and cheaper options. Also depends on whether you want bounce/swivel.

You can spend anywhere between twenty bucks and several hundred bucks.
11-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok here comes the next question. im flash-stupid, so where is the best resource to learn about what my options are, and what is good and bad about each?

my short term focus is to take some sweet family portraits, and while with any luck the natural lighting will be good, i dont want to be wishing i had ponied up the cash for a decent flash.

im a complete noob in the flash world. most of dslr too lol, but especially here. had not given any thought to a flash before
11-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

P-TTL flashes are the easiest to use, since they work like the built-in flash (except you can bounce them). Of these, I believe the Sigma EF500 DG SUPER is the most bang for the buck. It tilts and swivels, supports high-speed sync (important for fill-in flash outdoors in bright sunlight), and can be triggered wirelessly by the K10D's pop-up flash (may require sending back to Sigma for a free update, however). It costs about the same thing as the Pentax AF360FGZ, but is more powerful than the latter, which also does not swivel.

The Pentax AF540FGZ is comparable to the Sigma, but costs almost twice the price. It offers a non-P-TTL "auto" mode, however.

If you go for the Sigma, make sure you don't get the "ST", but the "SUPER". The "ST" does not support high-speed sync, rear-curtain, or wireless operation.

11-17-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got the pentax af 360 because I knew it would have all the features and work with my body ($155 after rebate at adorama) I don't use flash much and it seemed like a good deal.
11-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i grabbed the 360, not as good a deal as @ adorama, but i made out on some other items purchased, so i don't think im sweating it yet.

one question-how important is the swivel which i didn't get, and what would be its uses/benefits? just wondering what types of pictures would benefit from/require a flash at a non-direct angle (not including angling the flash up)
11-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

For starters, if you shoot in portrait orientation, tilting allows you to bounce off the ceiling anyway.

11-28-2007, 02:09 AM   #8

How About Sigma Electronic Flash EF-530 DG Super, I really need opinion before buy it,
11-28-2007, 02:14 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mohdhuzaini Quote
How About Sigma Electronic Flash EF-530 DG Super, I really need opinion before buy it,
I think it's higher Guide Number? 53 instead of 50. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
11-28-2007, 08:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mohdhuzaini Quote

It will be my second Flash, looking at the numbers it is kinda on the bar with AF540FGZ, I got the AF540FGZ and it's Great! got it in Ebay for like $300 something new, if you only want one flash I would recommand to pick up a stronger flash just in case.
11-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
ok here comes the next question. im flash-stupid, so where is the best resource to learn about what my options are, and what is good and bad about each?

my short term focus is to take some sweet family portraits, and while with any luck the natural lighting will be good, i dont want to be wishing i had ponied up the cash for a decent flash.

im a complete noob in the flash world. most of dslr too lol, but especially here. had not given any thought to a flash before
In terms of flash options, lets begin with the technical.

You have 3 flash options with a K10D, P-TTL, Auto, and Manual

P-TTL requires a flash that talks to the camera through the extra contacts in the base of the flash, or in remote mode, with high frequency flashes from the camera's own flash to the remote flash. The best P-TTL option is the AF540FGZ, or a thrid party equivelent (I am not the best expert in this area as I have the AF540FGZ and did not look elsewhere as I have been pleased with pentax flash units for over 15 years)

Auto requires a flash that has a photo cell or sensor in the flash, that reads the average flash reflected back from the subject to control the light. You have to set ISO and Apature on the flash, and set your shutter speed manually, but usually at something between 1/125 and 1/180.

Manual can be any flash, but you will need to go by trial and error (use the histogram and image review), or look into literature on flash to know how to calculate the exposure of the flash based upon guide number, distance to subject, ISO and F Stop of the lens. Any really good book on photography should give the theory and all of the calculations.

Having said this, there is one caution. You need to look at the flash trigger voltage, as some older flashes may have trigger voltages that can damage the camera circuitry.
11-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #12

Thank, it's really helpful.
12-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #13
Forum Member

This thread has really been very helpful. I'm currently looking for a flash and prior to reading this thread I had been eying the Pentax AF360 but now the Sigma EF500 DG Super looks to fit my needs better (assuming I can find somewhere to buy it). Is there any difference in flash compatibility between the K100D and the K10D? I have the K100D so I want to make sure it'll work. I've also read some reviews about the brittle mount on the Pentax flashes. Is it the same situation with the Sigmas?
12-03-2007, 06:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I am wondering about the SIgma 530 as well. I have m sights on the Pentax 540 but thinking maybe another Sigma will be the way to go. They have them on the Dell site as well.
12-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I see on the sigma site that wireless TTL on the EF 530 DG Super works with the *ist. I image that it would work with the K10D, can anyone confirm this?