Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Questions about Halogen vs other light sources..

So this is more of a "continuous" lighting question. Not sure if it falls in this section since this is more of the strobe/flash section.

Does anyone have experience with Halogen lighting? I currently have a Fluorescent lighting kit (junky- a Amazon $150 special) but it just doesnt produce the light needed. (go figure) I have been looking around at upgrading my system (from 1 Fluorescent to 5-9 system) and was almost sold on getting one of the 5 bulb systems, until I came across this

Photography - Video VL-1000 Triple Softbox Halogen Kit W/Boom

Now this system is nothing AMAZING. I still wouldnt call it "Professional" grade, but as im not a professional grade photographer, and its only $400 compared to over $1000 like most. I think im pretty impressed.

I was just hoping some of you experts could shine some light (pun intended) on this for me. I have read a bunch of reviews on Fluo lights vs Halo's but all I hear is "Halo's are much hotter".. well what does that mean? will this heat up a room hot? make a model sweat hot? or just hot to the touch? I know Halogens are known to be hot bulbs, but not sure if having 3 would be enough to notice a change in temp in the room.

Also, I will be using this indoors, mostly for video shooting (reviews and such) but also will be taking portraits of friends and family, Will this be pretty friendly for each?

Overall, would you suggest going the Halogen route, or stick with Fluorescents?

if not this kit, what do you suggest? (Less than $450, 2 softbox and a boom system preferred)

07-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
So this is more of a "continuous" lighting question. Not sure if it falls in this section since this is more of the strobe/flash section.

Does anyone have experience with Halogen lighting? I currently have a Fluorescent lighting kit (junky- a Amazon $150 special) but it just doesnt produce the light needed. (go figure) I have been looking around at upgrading my system (from 1 Fluorescent to 5-9 system) and was almost sold on getting one of the 5 bulb systems, until I came across this

Photography - Video VL-1000 Triple Softbox Halogen Kit W/Boom
They're called "hot lights" for a reason. Such lights produce considerable heat. If you have three or four 1000 watt light sources, imagine having three or four 1000 watt space heaters in the room with you. Incandescent light bulbs are 100% efficient - as heaters. They produce a more or less continuous spectrum from the far infrared up to 3500K (I think these should be 3500K). Fluorescent bulbs avoid this by producing a discontinuous spectrum - not much in the infrared at all, and not much dissipated as direct heat.

That said, many people believe that halogens and tungstens give better color once the white balance is set; this is probably true, but not enough to convince me to use hotlights again.

If you're not doing video, strobes are the way to go - unless you're doing images where you need motion blur.
07-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, these are going to be used for alot of video, so strobes are out for sure.

Do you have any kits that you suggest for that price range? I am trying to avoid the Cowboy Studio/ ePhoto that swarms Amazon and Ebay. Thats what I have now and they are kinda junky.
07-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
will this heat up a room hot? make a model sweat hot? or just hot to the touch?
Yep. Yep. And ouchhhhh.
Video lights in general are hot unless you use fluorescents or LEDs. Neither are in your price range. I like the Lowels or Kino Flo, but they're double your price limit...

07-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Yep. Yep. And ouchhhhh.
Video lights in general are hot unless you use fluorescents or LEDs. Neither are in your price range. I like the Lowels or Kino Flo, but they're double your price limit...
I actually just ordered this Kit last night, and it should be here tomorrow. Its a little smaller boxes than I wanted, but any bigger and there would be NO room in my basement

What'cha think?

Interfit Super Cool-lite 5 Two Light Kit (120V AC) INT117 B&H
07-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I actually just ordered this Kit last night, and it should be here tomorrow. Its a little smaller boxes than I wanted, but any bigger and there would be NO room in my basement

What'cha think?

Interfit Super Cool-lite 5 Two Light Kit (120V AC) INT117 B&H
Looks like a good choice from a physics standpoint. For lighting, essentially all of the watts going into the fixture wind up in the room as heat. The fluorescents used in your fixtures are do quite well in that regard:

I estimate you'll get 3-4 times less heat for the same amount of light as you would for incandescents or halogens
07-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I use 1000 watts of halogen light to photograph oriental rugs. The lamps are way cheap. The light is fairly easy to correct. But they certainly are neither efficient nor cool - not the light source you want for portraits or food photography, or for running all day. LEDs or t-5 fluorescents are much more efficient.