Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member
SlickYamaha's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bel Air MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 840
Questions about Halogen vs other light sources..

So this is more of a "continuous" lighting question. Not sure if it falls in this section since this is more of the strobe/flash section.

Does anyone have experience with Halogen lighting? I currently have a Fluorescent lighting kit (junky- a Amazon $150 special) but it just doesnt produce the light needed. (go figure) I have been looking around at upgrading my system (from 1 Fluorescent to 5-9 system) and was almost sold on getting one of the 5 bulb systems, until I came across this

Photography - Video VL-1000 Triple Softbox Halogen Kit W/Boom







Now this system is nothing AMAZING. I still wouldnt call it "Professional" grade, but as im not a professional grade photographer, and its only $400 compared to over $1000 like most. I think im pretty impressed.

I was just hoping some of you experts could shine some light (pun intended) on this for me. I have read a bunch of reviews on Fluo lights vs Halo's but all I hear is "Halo's are much hotter".. well what does that mean? will this heat up a room hot? make a model sweat hot? or just hot to the touch? I know Halogens are known to be hot bulbs, but not sure if having 3 would be enough to notice a change in temp in the room.

Also, I will be using this indoors, mostly for video shooting (reviews and such) but also will be taking portraits of friends and family, Will this be pretty friendly for each?


Overall, would you suggest going the Halogen route, or stick with Fluorescents?

if not this kit, what do you suggest? (Less than $450, 2 softbox and a boom system preferred)

07-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
So this is more of a "continuous" lighting question. Not sure if it falls in this section since this is more of the strobe/flash section.

Does anyone have experience with Halogen lighting? I currently have a Fluorescent lighting kit (junky- a Amazon $150 special) but it just doesnt produce the light needed. (go figure) I have been looking around at upgrading my system (from 1 Fluorescent to 5-9 system) and was almost sold on getting one of the 5 bulb systems, until I came across this

Photography - Video VL-1000 Triple Softbox Halogen Kit W/Boom
They're called "hot lights" for a reason. Such lights produce considerable heat. If you have three or four 1000 watt light sources, imagine having three or four 1000 watt space heaters in the room with you. Incandescent light bulbs are 100% efficient - as heaters. They produce a more or less continuous spectrum from the far infrared up to 3500K (I think these should be 3500K). Fluorescent bulbs avoid this by producing a discontinuous spectrum - not much in the infrared at all, and not much dissipated as direct heat.

That said, many people believe that halogens and tungstens give better color once the white balance is set; this is probably true, but not enough to convince me to use hotlights again.

If you're not doing video, strobes are the way to go - unless you're doing images where you need motion blur.
07-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member
SlickYamaha's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bel Air MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 840
Original Poster
Yeah, these are going to be used for alot of video, so strobes are out for sure.

Do you have any kits that you suggest for that price range? I am trying to avoid the Cowboy Studio/ ePhoto that swarms Amazon and Ebay. Thats what I have now and they are kinda junky.
07-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,027
QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
will this heat up a room hot? make a model sweat hot? or just hot to the touch?
Yep. Yep. And ouchhhhh.
Video lights in general are hot unless you use fluorescents or LEDs. Neither are in your price range. I like the Lowels or Kino Flo, but they're double your price limit...

07-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member
SlickYamaha's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bel Air MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 840
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Yep. Yep. And ouchhhhh.
Video lights in general are hot unless you use fluorescents or LEDs. Neither are in your price range. I like the Lowels or Kino Flo, but they're double your price limit...
I actually just ordered this Kit last night, and it should be here tomorrow. Its a little smaller boxes than I wanted, but any bigger and there would be NO room in my basement

What'cha think?

Interfit Super Cool-lite 5 Two Light Kit (120V AC) INT117 B&H
07-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ames, Iowa, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,965
QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
I actually just ordered this Kit last night, and it should be here tomorrow. Its a little smaller boxes than I wanted, but any bigger and there would be NO room in my basement

What'cha think?

Interfit Super Cool-lite 5 Two Light Kit (120V AC) INT117 B&H
Looks like a good choice from a physics standpoint. For lighting, essentially all of the watts going into the fixture wind up in the room as heat. The fluorescents used in your fixtures are do quite well in that regard:


I estimate you'll get 3-4 times less heat for the same amount of light as you would for incandescents or halogens
07-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,425
I use 1000 watts of halogen light to photograph oriental rugs. The lamps are way cheap. The light is fairly easy to correct. But they certainly are neither efficient nor cool - not the light source you want for portraits or food photography, or for running all day. LEDs or t-5 fluorescents are much more efficient.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
flash, halogen, im, kit, light, lighting, photo studio, reviews, strobist, system, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sources for older Prime Lenses Docrwm Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 09-13-2010 07:54 AM
Sources for me and kids to learn k-x kmets Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 07-19-2010 01:46 PM
White Balance with 1 different Light Sources pbo Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 04-07-2009 02:34 PM
Old light meter questions Stratman Photographic Technique 10 01-27-2008 06:37 PM
Hello, and I have some questions about low light shooting strictlypentax Welcomes and Introductions 2 06-02-2007 09:30 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:21 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top