Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #1

vivitar 5600 use with K-7?

Have a K-7 and need to know if a vivitar 5600 with T1 Quantum battery pack is workable with the dslr?

07-11-2011, 04:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This site lists the flash voltage for several different flash units; unfortunately, the 5600 is not on the list.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

This link will tell you how to measure the trigger voltage for the flash.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/138845-...ml#post1450451

I'm not sure what the safe voltage is for your camera but for my DS, it is 9 volts or less I believe.

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will come along and can answer your question.

Tim
07-11-2011, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Vivitar 5xxx and 3xxx series are underrated. I like them.

Vivitar 5600 + K7 works fine. I used to have a 5600 (gave it to a friend, having too many flashes). IIRC, the trigger voltage was about 6V.

You can shoot in manual or auto flash mode.

Auto flash mode is convenient.

If you have the Vivitar module for Pentax, when you set the K7 in Av mode and when the flash is ready, it will set the shutter speed of the K7 between 1/50 s and 1/160 s, depending on the focal length of the lens. When the flash is being charged (not ready), the shutter speed will be set according to ambient light.

If the Vivitar module is not dedicate to Pentax, it still works. You just need to set the camera in M mode, with shutter speed at X or lower, and match the ISO settings on the flash and on the camera.

The flash is old and its light sensor/meter circuit may not be accurate. Do some test shot and adjust accordingly. My old 5600 was 1 1/3 stops overexposed. To compensate, I had to adjust the ISO settings. For example, if I set the camera at ISO 200, the ISO setting on the flash would be 64 ( 1 1/3 stop under ISO 200).

--------------------------------------------------
Edit: I just re-read my post. This is wrong. It should read: "For example, if I set the camera at ISO 200, the ISO setting on the flash would be 500 ( 1 1/3 stop over ISO 200)".
--------------------------------------------------

I'm somewhat familiar with Quantum (having an original Turbo and a Turbo Compact), but I'm not sure what Quantum T1 model is like. If the battery pack works with the flash, great. The interface between battery + flash has nothing to do with the interface between flash + camera.

Last edited by SOldBear; 07-11-2011 at 05:23 PM.
10-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
The flash is old and its light sensor/meter circuit may not be accurate. Do some test shot and adjust accordingly. My old 5600 was 1 1/3 stops overexposed. To compensate, I had to adjust the ISO settings. ...

"For example, if I set the camera at ISO 200, the ISO setting on the flash would be 500 ( 1 1/3 stop over ISO 200)".
This sounds like the auto-flash "sensor" may be possibly dirty. Dust will reduce the light the sensor receives making it think it still needs more light and thereby cause overexposure. If it laid around face up, over time dust can settle in the tiny sensor hole in the lower middle of the front of the flash. Try blowing the dust out (can of air, but be careful not to tilt the can and just use quick, light bursts... make a test shot on a plain surface to verify if your brand of can doesn't leave residue, otherwise you'll just create more problems.)
Then retest the flash. Hopefully it won't need much if any compensating after cleaning.