Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Cheap or diy bracket for softbox?

This is the setup I'm looking to get. Does anyone know somewhere I can get a bracket like this for cheap? I was thinking of buying an l-bracket from home depot and put in some holes and whatnot, but I've never been good at these kinds of diy projects so I'd rather just buy something All of the brackets I have found have a hot shoe attachment at the end, I need to have a screw in because I use Yongnuo triggers like in the photo below.

07-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is a bracket I made for my umbrellas. Very easy to make and not that expensive. Hope this helps or at least gives you an idea or two.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/106596-diy-horizontal-flash-b...ht-stands.html

Tim
07-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete_pf Quote
This is the setup I'm looking to get. Does anyone know somewhere I can get a bracket like this for cheap? I was thinking of buying an l-bracket from home depot and put in some holes and whatnot, but I've never been good at these kinds of diy projects so I'd rather just buy something All of the brackets I have found have a hot shoe attachment at the end, I need to have a screw in because I use Yongnuo triggers like in the photo below.
Here's a typical angle bracket found in any hardware store. About 4" x 4" probably would be a good size.

You won't have to drill holes.

Your hardware store will also have a variety of knobs with a 1/4"-20 thread; that, a lock washer, and maybe a nut or two used as a spacer, can be used to secure the flash to the bracket.

I don't know what kind of stand you are using or how to attach the softbox to the bracket (most likely with a u-bolt) but your hardware store will have very inexpensive things suitable for the task.

If you can provide more details about the stand and softbox mounting points maybe we can tell you specifically what to buy.

Last edited by newarts; 07-24-2011 at 05:07 PM.
07-25-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'd go to the hardware store too. Much, much cheaper than anything you'll eventually find on the web, and you'll have the satisfaction of doing it yourself

If you want to find a build-for-you solution, dealextreme is probably a good place to start.

07-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Here is a bracket I made for my umbrellas. Very easy to make and not that expensive. Hope this helps or at least gives you an idea or two.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/106596-diy-horizontal-flash-b...ht-stands.html

Tim
Very nice!
07-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'd go to the hardware store too. Much, much cheaper than anything you'll eventually find on the web, and you'll have the satisfaction of doing it yourself

If you want to find a build-for-you solution, dealextreme is probably a good place to start.
the cheapest mounts i found were $15 on ebay, not horrible, but if i can build one for say $5, i'd be happier the thing is, i seem to suck at diy stuff. i've made a snoot, but trying to make my own softbox i gave up before even starting, and got one off ebay for about $25 lol but a mount seems easier to put together so i'm willing to give this a shot hehe

Tim
i like it, was actually thinking of going horizontal. my only issue with it, if the flash is high up, would get annoying if you have to change power strength. if you know your buttons i'm sure it's not the end of the world though
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Here's a typical angle bracket found in any hardware store. About 4" x 4" probably would be a good size.

You won't have to drill holes.

Your hardware store will also have a variety of knobs with a 1/4"-20 thread; that, a lock washer, and maybe a nut or two used as a spacer, can be used to secure the flash to the bracket.

I don't know what kind of stand you are using or how to attach the softbox to the bracket (most likely with a u-bolt) but your hardware store will have very inexpensive things suitable for the task.

If you can provide more details about the stand and softbox mounting points maybe we can tell you specifically what to buy.
awesome man, you're awesome thanks for the info. went to the store to look and the 4x4 seems like a good size. i took a few shots of my setup, it's very basic and similar to the photo above i included. what info do you need about the stand?

07-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

i like it, was actually thinking of going horizontal. my only issue with it, if the flash is high up, would get annoying if you have to change power strength. if you know your buttons i'm sure it's not the end of the world though
Actually, the umbrella stand lowers and raises pretty easily to change settings.

For the L-bracket option, it looks like you would need another bracket with holes that have the same spacing as the holes in the softbox frame. If you are lucky and the holes line up, you could bend the T-bracket in my tutorial into an L-bracket with wings. In addition, if the holes do line up, you would need to fasten the bracket to the inside (softbox side) of the frame because of the lip around the circular part of the frame. This would required a couple of short 1/4" screws and nuts/wing nuts and probably lock washers. You wouldn't need big knobs on the screws, as I would expect you would leave the bent T-bracket screwed onto the frame almost permanently.

Tim

07-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
Inactive Account

.. i took a few shots of my setup, it's very basic and similar to the photo above i included. what info do you need about the stand?
I don't quite understand. The photo shows the softbox frame attached to the flash - why not use it as is?

If your stand has the kind of attachment screw shown (1/4-20 threads) it should screw directly into your flash controller just as shown in the top photo.

If you want to use an L bracket then use a 1/4-20 wing nut to tighten the stand's 1/4-20 threaded post to the L bracket.

I'm not yet clear on what the soft box frame looks like if different from the one shown so can't say how to mount it.

So far you need an L Bracket, a 1/4-20 wing nut & 1/4-20 knob, and a few nuts & lock washers to act as spacers. Or you may need nothing.

I'd take the flash, tripod, and softbox frame to the hardware store & get help choosing the right parts.

You may have to increase the size of the holes in the L bracket to 1/4"...

Last edited by newarts; 07-27-2011 at 01:00 PM.
07-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I don't quite understand. The photo shows the softbox frame attached to the flash - why not use it as is?
If you look at the picture in the first post, you will see that the bracket allows the softbox to mount to the stand directly and not the clamp to the flash head. This will remove the stresses related to the weight of the softbox from the flash and thus, from the flash to radio trigger connection point. It is the same reason I made a DIY bracket shown in my tutorial.

Tim
07-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
Inactive Account

If you look at the picture in the first post, you will see that the bracket allows the softbox to mount to the stand directly and not the clamp to the flash head. This will remove the stresses related to the weight of the softbox from the flash and thus, from the flash to radio trigger connection point. It is the same reason I made a DIY bracket shown in my tutorial.

Tim
Gotcha'

So if that's the op's softbox's mount system, another small L bracket can be secured to one of the threaded rods that make up the softbox's flash-clamping mechanism. Or just drill a hole in the plastic frame and bolt the flash's L bracket to it.
07-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the first image i posted isn't my softbox, i did a search for an image just to show what kind of bracket i was looking to do.

the other photo with my mount attached to the flash, the mount is literally just resting on the flash to show you what i'm working with the softbox mount falls right off if i move it just a little bit.
07-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
Inactive Account

the first image i posted isn't my softbox, i did a search for an image just to show what kind of bracket i was looking to do.

the other photo with my mount attached to the flash, the mount is literally just resting on the flash to show you what i'm working with the softbox mount falls right off if i move it just a little bit.
Ok, I got it - if you use a 4x4" L bracket it probably won't stick up high enough to center the softbox on the flash. I'd use an L bracket big enough to reach from the bottom of the flash trigger to the softbox' plastic when the softbox is centered on the flash.

I'd probably drill a hole in the softbox plastic and use a nut & bolt to secure the softbox to the big L bracket. It is likely easier and more secure than using one of the existing threaded rods and a small L bracket.

You could also just glue the big L bracket to the softbox plastic with epoxy.

measure the distance indicated by the arrow above. That's about how far the top hole in the L bracket should be from the other leg to center the softbox properly. If needed the L bracket leg can be extended using a repair plate (a flat steel strap with holes in it). But I'd try to keep things as simple as possible. Just an L bracket and a 1/4-20 knob , wingnut, and nut & bolt or glue.

Last edited by newarts; 07-27-2011 at 03:04 PM.