Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-7 Tetharing to light room

I love the wireless shooting with my two pentax stobes (flashes). A great feature of the K-7.

However, I am not able to connect to Lightroom directly from my camera or even using a wi fi sd card.

I am trying to connect either wirelessly or tethered to my computer for the purpose of group presentation and teaching. Any thoughts. Anybody have any pull with Pentax to get a firmware upgrade?

07-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck with trying to get Pentax's ear. On the other hand maybe things will change now that Ricoh is in charge,

In the meantime take a look at this I have not tried it but others on this site have. Do a search for tethering and you will find a lot of info. You are not the only person wishing that was available.

I have heard of others using a wi-fi card though so that might work as well. Again do a search for tethering.
07-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Of course this could easily belong to another thread altogether, but I was under the impression that at least the K-5 and 645D were going to eventually get tethering support. Having previously owned a K-7 and assuming it was never going to happen for that model, going for the K-5 seemed that much more appealing.
07-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What do you know about the Wi Fi Sd cards. Where can you buy them? What do they do?

07-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
EyeFi isn't exactly tethering. They will wirelessly transfer files to your computer, which can then be detected and auto-imported into Lightroom.
Works GREAT when on location. The card does not give your the ability to remotely control your camera, like true tethering could..

The latest firmware allows the EyeFi to create its own hotspot to which your computer/iPhone, etc.. connects. This is a lot easier and uses REAL security, as opposed to Ad-Hoc networks, (or the alternative of requiring a wireless network router).

Distance is limited to about 15-30 feet for good transfer rates, but if your'e in a studio or similar that is just fine. I do get connections through two floors at my house, but transfer rate is slow.