Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
My First Flash: Pentax AF280T or YN460II ???

Hi, everyone!

Could anyone help me?
I have read many recommendations on the AF280T and I am sure about its quality, but also read good things about YN460II. Both are within my price range.
What is more worthwhile? The automatic modes of 280 or greater range of manual adjustments of the 460???
All feedback will help a lot!
Thank you!

07-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What is the intended use of your flash? If it's just an additionnal light source, to bounce and swivel, then the convenience of the auto mode is hard to beat. The Yongnuo would be more suited for studio work, where you control the environment and can easily fix the exposure.
07-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi!

Yes, it's a flash for all purposes and to stay in the camera. My question is exactly on AUTO, if this function is really worth it over the increased potential for regulation of 460.

Thanks!
07-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
Forum Member

what about a used 360?

07-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kanzlr Quote
what about a used 360?
A used 360 is fine, but lacks the swivel of the AF280T.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arsen Quote
My question is exactly on AUTO, if this function is really worth it over the increased potential for regulation of 460
With the flash on auto, you set the camera to P mode, and everything will be taken care of. If you play with aperture, the camera will adjust exposure time to match your changes. It's quite similar to using the built-in flash of the camera. So yes, it's really more convenient. With a manual flash, you have to use the manual exposure mode of your camera, and run some tests most of the time to get the correct exposure. It's ok in a studio, less so in everyday shooting situations.

the only setting to adjust on the flash is the intensity of the auto setting. For bounce and swivel or for distant subjects, you use Red (more powerful), and for close subjects (macro, small rooms) you use green. The slider at the back of the flash is only informative and tells yuo how you should expose in manual. The other buttons are used to activate the viewfinder flash confirmation, power, and test. Nothing complicated.
07-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kanzlr Quote
what about a used 360?
Thanks! But a 360 (I think you are referring to AF360FGZ) is too expensive for me, even a used one.
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
With the flash on auto, you set the camera to P mode, and everything will be taken care of. If you play with aperture, the camera will adjust exposure time to match your changes. It's quite similar to using the built-in flash of the camera. So yes, it's really more convenient.
Great! A little cheaper than the 460, too.
Thanks!
07-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Great! A little cheaper than the 460, too.
Thanks!
I am currently replacing my AF280T with a Sigma 530 ST, because I wanted more power and a zoom head (plus the AF beam), but in its own right the AF280T is still excellent. In fact, I prefer its design to that of the Sigma, it's better made. The reliability of the Auto mode is near-perfect, the only time its fails is when you ask for more power than what it can give you.

07-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi!

I'm with the flash, I made a few silly photos to test. They all work properly. I liked what I saw in position for macro, had never used an auto flash with this quality. Again, thanks for the tips!

I am currently replacing my AF280T with a Sigma 530 ST
In the future, I intend to buy a Metz 48, but I need to save money and learn more about photography to be worth the investment.

the only time its fails is when you ask for more power than what it can give you.
In what situations could this happen? I did not realize.
07-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A good, powerful flash is always a good investment if you are a tad serious or enthusiast about fotography.
You will learn a lot with manual flash control and you will light as you like and decide...having a manual flash will likely take you to start with off camera lighting and all the opportunities it opens up.
Light is the key element about fotography and a manual flash will give you CONTROL and CONSISTENCY. And having the back LCD arranging the perfect amount of light is quite easy...after some time it becomes second nature and your guesses about the exposure will start to be almost spot on.

One problem with the Yonnuo: chinese quality control. If you buy one try to buy it from a reliable dealer, or a used and tested one. If i were you i would save and take a look at the lumopro and at the nikon SB's (especially SB-28s, wich can be found at a reasonable price).
If lighting starts to interest you Strobist is a great resource...then the lighting in layers DVDs, and the Zach Aria's one light workshop.
07-28-2011, 05:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Originally posted by bdery*
the only time its fails is when you ask for more power than what it can give you.
The picture would look too dark. You would have to boost ISO and open up the aperture to compensate. This will eventually happen with any flash when you ask for more power than it can deliver (like when you see the Olympics and people are flashing their tiny pocket flashes at the whole stadium, and hope their pictures will turn out good

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
You will learn a lot with manual flash control and you will light as you like and decide...having a manual flash will likely take you to start with off camera lighting and all the opportunities it opens up.
That is true, IF someone wants to learn. But let's face it : we're all perfectly happy to have autofocus, auto metering, etc. You don't buy a flash so it can slow you down (at least that's not the purpose the original poster stated).

One problem with the Yonnuo: chinese quality control.
Chinese quality control will be as good as the engineer responsible for the assembly line defined it. Chinese manufactures are EXTREMELY good at following directions. If these are clear, there will be no quality control problems.

My company manufactures a lot of stuff in China, and we're talking about advanced telecomm T&M tools. QC is just as good in China as it is in Quebec city. It's MY job to define what tests should be made, what are acceptable values, and how to solve problems. Our Chinese manufacture will follow my direction and make high-quality products.
07-28-2011, 05:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Chinese quality control will be as good as the engineer responsible for the assembly line defined it. Chinese manufactures are EXTREMELY good at following directions. If these are clear, there will be no quality control problems.
You may be right, sorry for the generalization...in that case i reformulate: Yonnuo Quality control.
Just by reading the reviews you can see a lot of complaints about these flashes...and that paired with the fact that you'll have to send it back to China if a problem occurs, you have to consider that along with the prices of those flash units, if you aren't lucky it can start to get similar to the fully guaranteed Lumopro's.
07-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

if you aren't lucky it can start to get similar to the fully guaranteed Lumopro's.
I don't know about Lumopro. I agree that if you get a faulty unit you're off by a lot. I have not heard many people complain about yongnuo quality however, maybe dissatisfied users are more vocal in other forums? I don't own a Yongnuo flash, but I have flash triggers and camera remotes from them, and I'm very happy with those. Also remember that mad customers are always more loud
07-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I think this just means that this isn't the most powerful flash, so if for example you're bouncing off a tall ceiling, you can run out of power, and auto mode won't save your from that. Obviously, all flashes have limited power, the 280 is just a little less powerful than some similar flashes.

Paul
07-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You will learn a lot with manual flash control and you will light as you like and decide...
That is true, IF someone wants to learn.
In fact, I was looking for a multipurpose flash. I'm not completely adept at automatic. Also, plan to resurrect some M42 lenses that my father has, with a Spotmatic. But I still need better control over basic things like DOF and correct exposure. Strobe is a fascinating world, but to me it is still a second stage. It seems to me that it's possible to explore the concepts of correct exposure with a flash unit without power regulation, although this is more limited. I believe it is possible to learn enough about the subject with a simple flash to later buy a flash that I know actually use. Does that make sense?

This will eventually happen with any flash when you ask for more power than it can deliver
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Obviously, all flashes have limited power
I got it! Thanks!

Yonnuo Quality control. Just by reading the reviews you can see a lot of complaints about these flashes
I have not read much bad about the YN in Brazil. No one compares its quality to a Nikon SB, etc.. But it's seen as a great choice for its price.

Sorry by the ugly English...