Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just got my Metz 50 AF-1

So I bit the bullet and picked up a new flash unit. Question for Metz users. I've had a read through the manual, but there is one item I'm not totally sure about. If I'm shooting wirelessly, (K7 as master) does the flash still work in P-TTL? Manual seems to indicate that it does, but I'm not 100% convinced. Everything else in the manual seems to work / be clear, it's just this one point I'm not sure about.

07-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The Metz flash does in fact work wirelessly via P-TTL.

You might want to consider getting a light meter if you plan on using the flash wirelessly. This way all of your exposures will be perfect each and every time. This is how I roll. In this scenario the flash will be set to manual mode. You would adjust the camera's aperture based on the reading provided by the light meter. Sekonic makes nice ones that can be had for less than $200 second hand.
07-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I was playing with it a bit more today, and it seems to work, but still presents a couple of questions.

1. With the flash set to wireless, should it show P-TTL on the display like it does when it's mounted on the camera, or does it just show Slave, and it works in P-TTL automatically?

2. I noticed that with my K7, the on board flash that triggers the remote flash, still contributes to the exposure. (I see a shadow behind the subject) I was going to check my manual, but I can't seem to find it. Is there a way to have it just trigger the Metz flash, but not contribute to the final shot?

That's all I got for now, but I'm sure more will come up.
07-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Figured out the answer to my second question. Just had to figure out what option to turn on / off in the camera. Works like a charm. :-)

08-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Regarding your first question, the flash will just say "slave".
12-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #6

eccs19, could you please assist me with getting the 50 AF-1 into Slave mode? I followed the instructions and tried all sorts of button combinations and for the life of me I can't seem to get it into Slave. Right now all I see is M, TTL, and Sb.
12-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kdoud Quote
eccs19, could you please assist me with getting the 50 AF-1 into Slave mode? I followed the instructions and tried all sorts of button combinations and for the life of me I can't seem to get it into Slave. Right now all I see is M, TTL, and Sb.
I have a Metz 48 but I'm pretty sure the menu interfaces don't vary that much.

If you're only hitting the Mode button then it'll just cycle through those modes (when the flash isn't connected to the camera hotshoe).

What you'll need to do is to hit the middle 2 buttons together a few times until you see "SL" blinking. On my 48, it's about 3 presses, not sure about your 50. Turn that to "On" and you should be in the P-TTL slave mode.

12-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
I have a Metz 48 but I'm pretty sure the menu interfaces don't vary that much.

If you're only hitting the Mode button then it'll just cycle through those modes (when the flash isn't connected to the camera hotshoe).

What you'll need to do is to hit the middle 2 buttons together a few times until you see "SL" blinking. On my 48, it's about 3 presses, not sure about your 50. Turn that to "On" and you should be in the P-TTL slave mode.
Argh, I read that as hold the two down for a three count and then press either/or three times. Thanks a lot, worked great!
12-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kdoud Quote
Argh, I read that as hold the two down for a three count and then press either/or three times. Thanks a lot, worked great!
No prob. The button mashing on the Metz 48/50 is quite tricky at first but after a while it gets easier, unless you access the other features on a regular basis.