Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Might be the most simple and inexpensive home studio....

Just build up my new home studio........really simple and inexpensive...
but seems work fine...
I know need to improve skill..

Does the model stand too close to the white screen?
I have a second flash sit on floor point up to light the white screen.
I see those refelction from blue cloth on the skin.

How to improve my studio and photo, any overall suggestion and comment?

07-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Looks good to me. I look forward to hearing what experts say!

Greater fill fraction perhaps?
07-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not even close to an expert, so I hope someone confirms or corrects me on this, but I was always under the impression that your flash should NOT be reaching into the umbrella, but back more so the light will be more spread out.
07-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Here are a couple of sites that may help;
Strobist: Welcome to Strobist.
Benji's Studio Lighting and Posing Tutorial

07-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks...very useful site.
but they got so many light set up...
I only have 2 flash....haha...
07-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I'm not even close to an expert, so I hope someone confirms or corrects me on this, but I was always under the impression that your flash should NOT be reaching into the umbrella, but back more so the light will be more spread out.
I think so..I can move my stand back more..so light will be more spread out too.
07-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Yes, with the flash that far into the umbrella, the full size of the umbrella is not utilised. One might as well use a smaller umbrella then.

The flash should be further away from the umbrella so that it lights up all of the inner umbrella surface. This will create "softer" light for the subjects.

Probably you don't want the flash too far away so that the light doesn't spill over the edges of the umbrella; that depends on how undesirable/desirable the resultant extra ambient light effect will be in your room.
07-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yes, with the flash that far into the umbrella, the full size of the umbrella is not utilised. One might as well use a smaller umbrella then.

The flash should be further away from the umbrella so that it lights up all of the inner umbrella surface. This will create "softer" light for the subjects.

Probably you don't want the flash too far away so that the light doesn't spill over the edges of the umbrella; that depends on how undesirable/desirable the resultant extra ambient light effect will be in your room.
I see, I will keep in mind.
I do put a dome on the flash head to make the light spread out a bit more.

07-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
I see, I do put a dome on the flash head to make the light spread out a bit more.
I believe the Umbrella Clamp is upside down, hence why you can point the flash so far in. Un clamp it and turn it around so the hole that the umbrella passes through needs to be on the very top. This will ensure you flash, when in a 'normal' position, points into the centre of the umbrella. . The umbrella when through the clamp should be able to angle up and down with the flash fixed on top - not the way you have it at the moment.

Refer to this pic if you dont get me - yes your bracket is different but the function/arrangement should be the same:

See how the bottom bit - Without the Hole - is what goes on the stand. The bit with the hole, the umbrella passes through, then the flash goes on that. Then you can tilt your whole umbrella Up or Down to change angle - and the flash will always shoot to the middle with the best distance possible to spread out.

I'd also move the umbrella out more - I usually only have 2-3" of shaft sticking out the other side of the clamp. Once again this ensure you are spreading the beam and hitting the center...

Lastly - if you flash has a zoom function - back it right out to 24mm or whatever. If it has a wide angle diffuser panel, you can use that, but it will knock about a stop off of your flash so you'll need to turn up the power. But I think just fixing that mount and putting the umbrella out from the stand more will solve the problem.

I'm no expert either - just my basic thoughts from playing with flash myself...

Last edited by adr1an; 07-31-2011 at 06:18 PM.
07-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
I believe the Umbrella Clamp is upside down, hence why you can point the flash so far in. Un clamp it and turn it around so the hole that the umbrella passes through needs to be on the very top. This will ensure you flash, when in a 'normal' position, points into the centre of the umbrella. .

Refer to this pic if you dont get me:

See how the bottom bit - Without the Hole - is what goes on the stand. The bit with the hole, the umbrella passes through, then the flash goes on that. Then you can tilt your whole umbrella Up or Down to change angle - and the flash will always shoot to the middle with the best distance possible to spread out.

I'd also move the umbrella out more - I usually only have 2-3" of shaft sticking out the other side of the clamp. Once again this ensure you are spreading the beam and hitting the center...

Lastly - if you flash has a zoom function - back it right out to 24mm or whatever. If it has a wide angle diffuser panel, you can use that, but it will knock about a stop off of your flash so you'll need to turn up the power. But I think just fixing that mount and putting the umbrella out from the stand more will solve the problem.

I'm no expert either - just my basic thoughts from playing with flash myself...
Oh yeah??
But this way I can adjust the angle of the umbrella, if the other way. the umbrella angle is fixed...That is right?
07-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh yeah??
But this way I can adjust the angle of the umbrella, if the other way. the umbrella angle is fixed...That is right?
With the top bit clamped to the stand, see how it has pivoted.. Well the umbrella will be able to as well then - it just means that the flash will be locked in angle with it, which is what you want. The idea is if you tild the umbrella 'down', the flash stays pointed to the centre and will now point 'up'...

Switch the mount around and you'll see what I mean... But the bit that DOESNT have the umbrella (which would appear to be what the flash is mounted to at the moment) should be connected to the stand, and the bit that has the umbrella hole, should pivot. Then it is automatically and always pointing at the 'center' of the umbrella regardless of how you pivot the umbrella.

This might explain it better. See how the shaft is only just poking through, and the flash is connected to the same arm that the umbrella goes through - the bit below the pivot then clamps to the stand.

Last edited by adr1an; 07-31-2011 at 06:49 PM.
07-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh yeah??
You want the angle fixed with regards to the flash, so when you adjust the angle of the umbrella, the flash doesn't need to be changed.
08-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As mentioned, your flash/swivel backet is mounted upside down. Skip to 3:40 for the specifics, but I recommend you watch the whole video:
08-01-2011, 04:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
As mentioned, your flash/swivel backet is mounted upside down. Skip to 3:40 for the specifics, but I recommend you watch the whole video: ‪Strobist Preliminaries‬‏ - YouTube

Hi...guys...I think mine is totally right...check 2:30..That is what I have..
Guys,do not confuse me....
08-01-2011, 04:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi...guys...I think mine is totally right...check 2:30..That is what I have..
Guys,do not confuse me....
We aren't trying to confuse you.

Your photo does not depict the setup seen at 3:40 - which is the correct setup. Just look at 3minutes 40seconds. You want it setup *exactly* as per 3:40...

Your picture above, has the bracket upside down. There is no other way to have the flash orientated like you do. You have it setup as per 4:30 - which is not correct. 4:30 = Wrong.

Watch 3:35 to 5minutes *very* closely.

Last edited by adr1an; 08-01-2011 at 06:08 AM.