Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I totally missed one of the first points but I think we might be on the same page now. Its not if you subject is moving but rather if you subject is staying in the same light. If the subject is in the same light levels you can do the old ronco set it and forget it.
Earlier I was referring to setting manual exposure (flash or not) as well as auto focus when I refereed to shooting manually. So basically if your light is constant or doesn't change much or often, manual flash is going to perform better in the same manner that manual exposure without flash s going to perform better. You set it and forget it unless light changes and don't have to worry about the camera constantly changing exposure (and sometimes getting it wrong or perhaps just a little off on some shots depending on the environment and how your camera responds to it).
Moving objects don't matter unless they are moving to areas of different light levels. Otherwise manual is going to perform better unless environmental light is changing frequently and significantly.
Wouldn't it make sense to have both manual and automatic flashes then, or automatic ones with good manual settings, unless you only shoot in environments of more constant light? I can defiantly see the point about not wanting to unnecessarily use expensive automatic flashes remotely out doors where you might forget them too. While I got my flashed cheap, it was a one shot deal and replacement cost could easily be a couple of hundred dollars per unit. If you are setting up where you are going to leave flashes for remote trigger and could loose them, I would think that would most likely be an environment where light would be relatively constant and manual flashed would work better and have less chance of high dollar loss. Am I getting the point a little better now?

08-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Ok so I'm sure my not getting the point was a little annoying but at least it was on topic. Hopefully you won't crucify me for an off topic question but what would you use for macro? The reason I ask is I have never considered a ring flash as they cost several hundred dollars and I only do macro once in a while. This discussion prompted me to see if a p-ttl module was still available for 20$, and I noticed the promanster macrolume is now going for about 50$. Sure its an older film model, but it uses the same control modules as my flashes, and is compatible with the ist-ds. I have not got a clue about it's manual capabilities though I guess its the same 3 power settings only.
08-08-2011, 05:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re first post: thats it in a nutshell. I have one p-TTL flash (the Sigma 500DG ST) that I can use in the 'run n gun' scenario - every other flash is just YN-560's or equivalents - which have much better manual controls than the Sigma (in interface terms) and are also more powerful anyway.

And yes - you have it spot on re 'setting the flash' - its about balancing the light - as long as those parameters dont change its all good - so in a scenario like say - a banquet hall - with fairly consistent lighting - you wouldn't need to tweak much after the initial setup...

Re second point: I'd just get this (the Ringflash Kit)
DIY Lighting Kits

Re the TTL stuff - Just remember - ist's use TTL - anything later uses p-TTL , and the two are not compatible or interoperable.
08-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. That do DIY flash looks huge!!! It looks like it might be pretty effective though. I understand the ttl/p-ttl thing. The ist-ds can do ttl or p-ttl. Anything newer can only do p-ttl. My flashes can do either with the correct module, in fact they can work on any camera (nikon, canon etc) with the correct interchangeable module. The macrolume works with the same interchangeable control modules that I have which is why it caught my interest.

08-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I just picked up a Yongnuo YN560 as my first truly usable flash, so far I'm loving it. I might pick up a lower power p-TTL flash at some point, but for now, I'm happy with manual. Though, a good thyristor flash would also be nice.