Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
LED for Macro

Does anyone use LED compact video lights for Macro? While shopping Amazon I came across battery powered video LED lights and thought this could work for macro. Which size should I purchase? They make in several sizes 10 - 160 bulbs. This is one I was considering; Sunpak Model Number: LED-30 ASIN B004F323C uses AA batteries, includes diffuser and 4300K-color correction filter. Would I need something larger? I’m considering the LED for lightweight vs. the heavy weight of full size flash units.

Brackets I’m considering; Manfrotto 330B or Fotopro DMM-901 which bracket would be most useful? When I compare the two brackets I developed a long pro/con list. The Manfrotto would be most sturdy while the Fotopro would be more adjustable. I’m favoring the Manfrotto toped with a mini ball head. My reasoning, I can use my large flash units without the arms drooping, I think the Fotopro would sag with the weight of the flash. What are your thoughts?

08-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaufeetime Quote
I’m considering the LED for lightweight vs. the heavy weight of full size flash units.
Why not consider merely a lightweight flash? I find the LEDs compelling only if you wish to shoot video (difficult to do in macro because of the narrow DOF). For macro stills, flash is preferable because flash durations used in macro photography are so small that it solves the whole issue of camera shake and allows hand-held macro shots with complete confidence. Moreover, one flash is all you need, à la John Shaw. Two flashes (or LED lights) inevitably lead to dual catchlights in the eyes. It's also lighter and easier to handle to have just one flash dangling in front of one's camera.
08-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
besides video, another reason might want use LED is that it is easier for camera to focus if the ambient light is dark.. actually sometimes it is impossiable to focus if it is really dark..that case LED really become a saver.
08-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

for stacking people (and soon to include me) use IKEA lamps to illuminate the subject Never heard of people legitimately using LED's for field stuff though...... The flash is there not only for illumination but to stop any motion from the shooter shaking or wind blowing etc. Its vital for field work

08-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
for stacking people (and soon to include me) use IKEA lamps to illuminate the subject
What kind of Ikea light?

I know a colleague here at Pentaxforums bought a cheap ring macro light, fitted it on a step-up ring, and created his own ring light.
08-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

jansjo