Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

How to use non-Pentax flash on K100d?

I thought I sent a similar thread yesterday but cannot find it today......sorry about a duplicate if if does show up..............

I have a new K100d and an old Sunpak Auto 144 Thysistor flash I'd like to use.

I am pretty inexperienced, but I have used that Sunpak with other digitals cameras, namely my Panasonic FZ-20 that allowed use of an external flash. So I know at least that the flash can be made to work.

I am a little confused, but I think this is what I need to do:
  • On Flash - Mount and Power On
  • On Flash - Set ISO, read f stop to be set on camera
  • On Camera – Power On
  • On Camera - Set to same ISO as flash unit
  • On Camera - Set camera to Manual Exposure mode
  • On Camera - Set shutter speed to 1/180 or slower
  • On Camera - Set the f stop indicated above

I have not tried the steps above yet.

However, yesterday I tried the K100d with the Sunpak just a little. I used Aperture Priority Exposer mode however, and set the f stop to what the Flash indicated, with the ISO the same on both the flash and camera. That worked, at least the flash fired and I got an image, but the shutter seemed VERY slow, around 0.3 second. I was not able to find on the camera what the shutter speed was.

Just to confuse the issue, my Sunpak actually has TWO "ON" settings. They are not labeled on the Sunpak 144, and I no longer have the manual for this unit. If I select, say, ISO 200 and turn the flash to the first ON setting, the flash indicates I need to use f2.8 at 6.6 to 33 feet. In the second "ON" setting, it indicates f8 at 2.5 to 12 feet. So which "ON" setting should I use? I suspect the two ON settings have something to do with maybe manual or auto operation of the Sunpak but I can't find anything on that. I have checked and the firing voltage is okay with this unit.

I would love to get a P-TTL unit, but right now I have other places to put $200 or so.

Assuming I can get the Sunpak to function, can anyone give me a reference of its power? I've found a guide number for it, but I'm confused trying to compare apples to apples with other units. See the link above. I know that feet and f setting and affect the guide number, I just want to be able to compare this and other units.

Also, can anyone tell me if I could use this flash remotely, like as a slave unit? My guess is no as it would probably fire on the pre-flash on the k100's flash (assuming the K-100 has one; not sure of that either!)

Thanks!

11-26-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Av mode meters for the ambient light (assumes NO flash is used) so it will give you a SLOW shutter speed (assuming you're indoors, hence why you want to use a flash). So indoor flash use should use MANUAL exposure mode (to set the shutter to ~1/180s). Try it, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised! I have the Pentax 540, and I've used it in AUTO mode (AUTO on the flash) and I get very good exposures.
11-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
Forum Member

Those two "ON" settings are for automode meaning your flash will determine how much light it needs to fire. When you are on this mode point the round hole in front of the flash to the subject, do not cover it, that is needed to meter the light.

The use of those automodes depends on what lens you have and what aperture you want to use. If you have the kit lens you need to set your flash to f8 since your lens would not be able to go to 2.8. Although you can adjust your ISO in your camera to compensate for the aperture, f2.8 at ISO 200 will be the same as f4 at ISO 400.

I use a sunpak 383 and a wireless trigger, everytime I use it I never have any issue with exposure. For indoor I use manual exposure with 1/125s bouncing the flash to the ceiling works like a charm.
11-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, but I have more questions!

QuoteOriginally posted by maj0rglitch Quote
Those two "ON" settings are for automode meaning your flash will determine how much light it needs to fire. When you are on this mode point the round hole in front of the flash to the subject, do not cover it, that is needed to meter the light.
Which one is Auto? If both ON settings are Auto what's the difference?

The use of those automodes depends on what lens you have and what aperture you want to use. If you have the kit lens you need to set your flash to f8 since your lens would not be able to go to 2.8. Although you can adjust your ISO in your camera to compensate for the aperture, f2.8 at ISO 200 will be the same as f4 at ISO 400.
Are you saying BOTH the two "ON" settings on the Sunpak are Auto? So BOTH settings are Auto, but the two position switch gives me a CHOICE? So I could use either f2.8 or f8 depending on which f stop was more appropriate based on the lens (not wanting to shoot wide open, wanting more depth of field, etc). But in EITHER setting I'd be using the same shutter, 1/180th or slower (not faster, right?0)

I use a sunpak 383 and a wireless trigger, everytime I use it I never have any issue with exposure. For indoor I use manual exposure with 1/125s bouncing the flash to the ceiling works like a charm.
Roger that. I use bounce a lot with the Sunpak, although it can tilt but not swivel. It is handy.

11-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a Sunpak 144 d that I use with my k100. I think it is similar to the one you are using, but the sensor eye is on the body of the flash not the base. I get pretty good results with it.

The two "ON" settings are automatic, just different power settings. One for up close, and one for further away. The ranges this covers is printed on the back of the flash. There are no manual settings on this flash.

My flash does set the shutter speed on the camera. I think that is what the "d" (dedicated) designation is about. It has multiple pins on the bottom that makes it compatible with many different models of cameras, Pentax being one of them.

For some exposures and lenses you have to play around with the settings a little, shutter speed, iso, and aperture. Mess around with it a little and you will figure out what works. But the guide on the back of the flash is generally accurate.
11-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
I have a Sunpak 144 d that I use with my k100. I think it is similar to the one you are using, but the sensor eye is on the body of the flash not the base. I get pretty good results with it.

The two "ON" settings are automatic, just different power settings. One for up close, and one for further away. The ranges this covers is printed on the back of the flash. There are no manual settings on this flash.

My flash does set the shutter speed on the camera. I think that is what the "d" (dedicated) designation is about. It has multiple pins on the bottom that makes it compatible with many different models of cameras, Pentax being one of them.

For some exposures and lenses you have to play around with the settings a little, shutter speed, iso, and aperture. Mess around with it a little and you will figure out what works. But the guide on the back of the flash is generally accurate.
Thanks so much for replying, Fritz! That helps me a lot. Those two on settings really had me wondering! I will play around with the flash this week and see how it goes. It's been a good flash; I think this will be the 4th camera on which I've used it!
11-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Oh, one more thing. I also measured the trigger voltage on mine, and it was around 7.5 volts. Should be plenty safe for use with our cameras.

11-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
Oh, one more thing. I also measured the trigger voltage on mine, and it was around 7.5 volts. Should be plenty safe for use with our cameras.
I measured mine 2-3 years ago when I used the Sunpak with my Panasonic FZ-20. I don't recall the volts, but it was under 10.
11-28-2007, 01:32 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Hello all!

Since it is the topic of using non-Pentax Flashes on k100D.....
There is my question:
I found some old flash (don't now the model or anything else). I mounted it on my k100D and surprisingly it fired at shutter release. The flash has only one pin in the middle of P-TTL connector. I suppose this is fire signal!? Flash does not have any settings. It only has On/Off button and table of distance/aperture/ISO values.

1. Can I damage my k100D body with it?
2. What are benefits of using it, instead of built-in flash (the strenght of both is pretty much the same)?
3. I think I can use it only in Manual mode, wright?

Thank you!
11-28-2007, 04:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by saso30lj Quote
1. Can I damage my k100D body with it?
Yes, it is possible. Please check the trigger voltage before you use it again.

QuoteQuote:
2. What are benefits of using it, instead of built-in flash (the strenght of both is pretty much the same)?
Greater distance from the lens means less "red eye".

QuoteQuote:
3. I think I can use it only in Manual mode, wright?
Yes, that is right. Look at the distance scale on the flash to determine your aperture. Shutter speed must be 1/180 or slower.
11-28-2007, 04:13 AM   #11
Inactive Account

As I realised, k100D requires 30V or less of trigger voltage. Is there any way to measure the trigger voltage of the flash?
11-28-2007, 07:00 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here is some data on exterior strobes. Your camera might be in the list, but probably not. It's easy to measure the voltage, but I have forgotten how I did it! <G>

There is an explanation of how to measure the voltage somewhere on this forum, I have seen it lately. Do a search for 'measuring' and 'flash' and 'voltage' and surely it will pop up.
11-28-2007, 07:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The page you linked to includes a link to instructions on how to do the test.

It is very easy to do, but please be sure to use a digital multimeter and not an analog multimeter. It really does make a difference.
11-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #14
Inactive Account

@Papersniper & @MikeCash: Thank you both!
11-29-2007, 07:12 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
"a link to instructions on how to do the test."

Thanks for that link, I'll add it to my bookmarks.