Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Defective AF540FGZ? Boo!

Just got my 540 from B & H and started testing it out off camera first. Never even made it onto the camera, because the sync switch doesn't work (stays on leading curtain). Tried it on camera just to see what would happen, and the switch is inconsistent, sometimes moving to trailing curtain. Still haven't seen contrast control icon or high speed sync icon at all.

Anything I'm overlooking? Or is this a quality control problem?

I'm not amused.

11-29-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You offer no information about your camera and little specifics about what you're doing to select these features, which obviously makes it very difficult to provide accurate assistance. Regardless, several buttons on the flash unit are designed mainly for cameras without that option built-in. However, with the K10D, and several other Pentax camera models, many of the flash options are selected and controlled within the camera, with the camera overriding the button selections on the actual flash unit. This may or may not be related to your problem.

stewart
11-29-2007, 05:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't know, stewart...I thought his description was perfectly clear. He tries to use the sync switch on the flash to set the sync mode, but it's broken. It doesn't stay in position, and doesn't cause the right mode changes to be reflected in the flash's LCD display. High-Speed Sync and Contrast Control Sync are things that need to be selected on the flash for them to work, and the corresponding icons must appear on the flash unit. In his case, he can't because the switch doesn't stay in position. The type of camera he's using is irrelevant.

I'd say it sounds defective, and you should contact B&H to get a replacement. It's a shame you hear so much about poor quality control on the 540, as expensive as it is. The 360 is complained about far less on this forum, but maybe there are just fewer of them.
11-30-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Just got my 540 from B & H and started testing it out off camera first. Never even made it onto the camera, because the sync switch doesn't work (stays on leading curtain). Tried it on camera just to see what would happen, and the switch is inconsistent, sometimes moving to trailing curtain. Still haven't seen contrast control icon or high speed sync icon at all.

Anything I'm overlooking? Or is this a quality control problem?

I'm not amused.
I was having similar experiences until I played around with it a bit more on camera. When you slide the sync switch, does it "click" into place in any one of the positions? Mine has a nice positive click, however, when it was off camera it had no effect. When I put it on camera and moved the switch to another position, the mode in the display only changed once I pushed the camera shutter release halfway down, then it switched modes. I've never had any problem with the switch actually moving or changing after I've set it. Biggest complaint about the 540 is the underexposure when using it in P-TTL direct, as long as I bounce it or give it the 30 or 45 angle and use the bounce screen built into the flash it seems OK. For what I paid I'm not overly impressed.

11-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #5

This.. is why I am buying 2. :P

It would be so sweet if they were to announce a new version (or new flash) along with new cameras at PMA next year.

Could you imagine a weather sealed flash?

Pentax, are you listening?
12-01-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The sync switch moves, and it clicks in all four spots. But it does not show all four icons, either off camera or on camera. I checked with B&H and they said it sounded defective and so exchange it. I will be waiting impatiently for version 2 of the 540.

I was in the process of reading the manual when I noticed the problem. Seems the flash can be set to auto TTL, in which case perhaps my 500FTZ that I have used with my PZ-1p is no longer necessary.....
12-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you found that the flash 'didn't work' or 'didn't work as expected' what was the first thing that you did (wrt this problem)?

The sync switch moves, and it clicks in all four spots. But it does not show all four icons, either off camera or on camera. I checked with B&H and they said it sounded defective and so exchange it. I will be waiting impatiently for version 2 of the 540.

I was in the process of reading the manual when I noticed the problem. Seems the flash can be set to auto TTL, in which case perhaps my 500FTZ that I have used with my PZ-1p is no longer necessary.....

12-01-2007, 09:24 AM   #8
Inactive Account

The sync switch moves, and it clicks in all four spots. But it does not show all four icons, either off camera or on camera.
I don't have mine in front of me right now - but I think thats normal. I seem to recall that the icon doesn't change until I hit the shutter, half press will do.

If I remember I'll take a look....

edit - Just looked at it - the icon doesn't change when off camera, only on-camera, and only when half-press, or while the viewfinder icons are active - once they go inactive, then it stops changing with the switch.

Last edited by ccallana; 12-01-2007 at 03:03 PM.