Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

2 Flash setup?

I recently took pictures at a party where I had one umbrella setup with a flash, and another flash on camera tilted up with a white card to relect the light.
This setup worked pretty well for me.
I am interested to know if anyone has tried the following
having 2 flashes on the camera one firing up, and the other having more direct & diffused light. This way I would be able to walk around and still use a lower iso setting.

Any comments?
Thanks Jake

09-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't tried it - but you can get Double Flash Brackets that attach to the Tripod mount... but I suggest using a Grip otherwise the camera might start getting lost
You can get 2 'side by side', or one where the camera is in the 'middle' with a flash at each end.
09-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Question for someone else. Can one setup the flash off camera and also use the built in flash? Any ideas how one would tweek the biult in flash so it didn't swamp the picture (actually a whit hanky would do the job)?

There are many variations on this theme. I had a nisson flash that had a reasonable size head and a small fill in flash. Metz currently sells such a setup.

I have a plastic bracket that sticks on the flash (like your white card with holes in it) that allows most of the light to hit the ceiling and some of it to reflect directly forwards.

Easiest technique I find is a light box over the flash tilted upwards but will result in legs disappearing into the black if you do it on wide angle.

my preference for parties and events is to use my 50-135 and bounce the flash of a ceiling. It's a problem when the ceiling isn't white.

Looking forward to other ideas
09-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i actually use this light setup a lot, especially when i want to carry small flashes but i also want to travel light. Here's an example of one time i used this setup. Umbrella is camera right, bare flashed bounced up is camera left.

as for using the built-in flash, just set the other flashes to optical slave with compensation for preflash (S2 mode for yongnuos). After that, go to flash settings in your camera and tell it to underexpose a stop or so

09-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This is very similar to my go-to lighting setup.

I use on-axis flash for fill light and use a second flash with a modifier for the key light.

I tend to use a ring flash on camera and a 28" soft box as key.

-N