Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Radio wireless flash triggers

I'm interested in acquiring a radio x-mttr and a couple of receivers to trigger off-camera hot shoe strobes. I don't feel that I can justify spending over $500 (with sync cords) for Pocket Wizards, and I'm more than a little skeptical of the e-bay system from Gadget Infinity that can be purchased for about $60 including shipping from Hong Kong. I was wondering if any of you have experience with some of the intermediate priced outfits such as are available at Adorama (Flashpoint, Smith Victor RTK4, etc.) or have any insight into the Radio Popper system which is supposed to start selling next month. Thanks in advance.

CN

12-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
I'm interested in acquiring a radio x-mttr and a couple of receivers to trigger off-camera hot shoe strobes. I don't feel that I can justify spending over $500 (with sync cords) for Pocket Wizards, and I'm more than a little skeptical of the e-bay system from Gadget Infinity that can be purchased for about $60 including shipping from Hong Kong. I was wondering if any of you have experience with some of the intermediate priced outfits such as are available at Adorama (Flashpoint, Smith Victor RTK4, etc.) or have any insight into the Radio Popper system which is supposed to start selling next month. Thanks in advance.
Will the Radio Poppers really be ready? I'm skeptical. Especially since their web site hasn't mentioned anything about getting their FCC certification for the radio.

It depends on what you are using these for. If it's studio or close work and no other RF will be at play, the GI triggers work fine. I find they don't work with the RF shutter release I use, but with a cabled release, they fire both strobes just fine. I've not made them work with sync speeds higher than 1/180, but I don't need anything higher than that at the moment. For the cheap investment, they are worth trying. If they don't work for you, sell them or give them to a buddy.
12-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I know you said you are skeptical of the Gadget Infinity system, and I don't blame you. But I'd encourage you to consider them if you're interested in saving some money. A lot of people have them and are satisfied. If you read about any reliability problems, you'll find that those are a lot more common on the older versions, and IMHO, they've made a lot of improvements to get to the current V2s model.

That's not to say they're perfect. The build quality qould of course be improved upon. But they're by no means junk, either. Electronically, mine have been flawless. I've never had mine fail to trigger the flash, and I've had reliable operation at over 50 ft. (I don't know how far they can go, I've never tried farther).

I completely recognize that Pocket Wizards or any of the medium-priced options will be better in some respects: quality of materials, range, etc.... But the Gadget Infinity triggers are more than servicable, and at $40 shipped (that's what I paid), they're a genuine deal.
12-04-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave and Eric. My plan for the immediate future is to use these in a relatively close quarter studio type setup, but who knows what might develop in the future. One of the great things about digital photography is the freedom to experiment ad lib without the cost of film and developing, and Strobist has stimulated my desire to do so in regards to flash photography. For now I think I'll go ahead with the GI setup, and if, unlike your experience, it proves unsatisfactory I can always do something else later. If I'm happy with the V2s then I've obviously saved a bundle, at least compared to the Pocket Wizards, and if I'm not it's no big loss.

Anyone else care to comment?

CN

12-04-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think you've got a reasonable plan. And if you don't like them, you'll be able to sell them here easily, I'm sure. And for what it's worth, I paid only the standard $5 shipping on my order, and they arrived in 4 days. From Hong Kong! I can't get things from the same time zone that fast sometimes.

If your experience is like mine, you'll really enjoy putting Strobist principles to practice. I got some off-camera flash gear (stand, umbrellas, etc) not too long ago, and I've been having a blast with creative lighting. It's amazing what kind of difference it makes for portraits and macro. I wish I'd gotten into it sooner...
12-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
and
Veteran Member

The radiopoppers sound too good to be true. I dont care about the original concept since the pentax system doesnt allow you to change the manual setting of the remote flashes anyway so Id still have to walk around, but the basic version that had better range than the normal one, supposed better range than PWs and only cost $25? sounds too good to be true to me.

I still think I am headed for PW tho, I want the remote triggering capability too, the Pentax remote has a very short range. And Ive already got a lightmeeter with built in PW so.
12-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
I think you've got a reasonable plan. And if you don't like them, you'll be able to sell them here easily, I'm sure. And for what it's worth, I paid only the standard $5 shipping on my order, and they arrived in 4 days. From Hong Kong! I can't get things from the same time zone that fast sometimes.

If your experience is like mine, you'll really enjoy putting Strobist principles to practice. I got some off-camera flash gear (stand, umbrellas, etc) not too long ago, and I've been having a blast with creative lighting. It's amazing what kind of difference it makes for portraits and macro. I wish I'd gotten into it sooner...
Dave:

In addition to the Strobist site, I've found the following to be quite helpful for taking portraits:

Tutorial Links

It's a series of tutorials by a fellow named Chuck Gardner, and I've found it to be very helpful, indeed.

CN

12-04-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
[QUOTE=and;128450]The radiopoppers sound too good to be true. I dont care about the original concept since the pentax system doesnt allow you to change the manual setting of the remote flashes anyway so Id still have to walk around, but the basic version that had better range than the normal one, supposed better range than PWs and only cost $25? sounds too good to be true to me.

And you're no doubt familiar with the old saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true". I'm certainly not going to hold my breath on that one, but just on the outside, extremely remote, once in a zillion years chance that it might be true it would certainly be a bargain.

CN
12-04-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
and
Veteran Member

heh, yea if it was true Id get a couple even if I had PWs at the time, since these are supposed to be tiny.
12-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
I've not made them work with sync speeds higher than 1/180....
Isn't that our camera-imposed max synch speed for flash anyway, regardless of triggering system?
12-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #11

Try researching Elinchrom Skyports. They are a new PW competitor for about half the price. There's a Flickr thread over at the Strobist discussion forum that can give you all the enough you need on them. From what I've read I would recommend them to anyone who didn't want PW's. They seem like a good alternative.
12-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alinla Quote
Try researching Elinchrom Skyports. They are a new PW competitor for about half the price. There's a Flickr thread over at the Strobist discussion forum that can give you all the enough you need on them. From what I've read I would recommend them to anyone who didn't want PW's. They seem like a good alternative.
Thanks, I'll check it out. By the way, I didn't say I didn't want PW's. I just said I couldn't justify spending that much money on them. :-)

CN
12-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Isn't that our camera-imposed max synch speed for flash anyway, regardless of triggering system?
With certain camera's it is possible to get higher sync sppeds. Not sure about Pentax camera's though. Take a read here on Strobist.

Thanks
12-05-2007, 06:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Yeah, I know the competition has higher synch speeds available. And I know the K100D is 1/180. Is it the same for the K10D?
12-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Yeah, I know the competition has higher synch speeds available. And I know the K100D is 1/180. Is it the same for the K10D?
Yes, the K10D is the same.