Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #1

manual flash?

vivitar 285hv or vivitar 283 or YN-560 Speedlight? solutions for hair light for studio work. (with two 200w/s elinchrom strobes). or other cheap flash under 100$ for this purpose ? solution...?
or should i go for the pentax 500ftz? it is more powerful? thanks

09-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can't go wrong with a Pentax flash. If you want to shoot manual, you can. If you want PTTL, you have it. You say that you are using studio strobes but there's value to being light and portable buy using a one speedlight / umbrella setup. It may not be your main use but flexibility is always good.

It is a stop more powerful than the YN-560. That's not huge, especially for a hair light. On the other hand there's a huge cost difference between that and the manual flashes. I have a Vivitar 285 and a YN-560. The Vivitar is 12 years old and works perfectly, so it's a proven performer. The YN-560 appears to be well made. I've run only 4 sets of batteries through it, so I can't attest to its durability. So far, so good. The YN does have a lot more ability to fine tune the output, so it's my first choice when I only use one flash.

One other option that splits the difference between the cheap manual flashes and the top of the line Pentax is Sigma's 610 DG Super. It's the most powerful of the lot and does PTTL.

Last edited by mysticcowboy; 09-15-2011 at 07:26 PM.
09-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
yn-560 has the same guide number as canon 580EX II which is GN 190' (58 m) @ ISO100, 105mm Setting. so u have an idea. it is as powerful as the canon top line...

but I do not like use speedlight for hairlight. the light for hair has to be raised high, usually beyond our hands reach. it is troublesome to adjust power. need to stand on chair to reach the speedlight or lower the lightstand first.
but if use strobe much handy, power pack is on the floor, no matter how high the light is, still can adjust the power easily.

Last edited by liukaitc; 09-15-2011 at 08:08 PM.