Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Flash for K20D

I have owned Pentax cameras for many many years, however never used a dedicated flash. My knowledge of flashes especially the dedicated flashes is very very limited. Currently, I own a K20D and was wondering what flash would go with this. I intend to use the flash for portrait or still life photography. An ability to use the flash off camera will be very handy. Though I live in India I intend to buy the flash from the US. My wife who is currently in the US will get it with her.

mj

09-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
do you need pttl? what is your budget?
09-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The AF360 is a good starting flash with a wide range of features, I can recommend it

Here are some reviews: PENTAX AF 360FGZ reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
do you need pttl? what is your budget?
I confess! I do not yet understand pttl! Need to look it up. I was planning to spend about $250.

Also, any specific store I should buy it from? I was thinking of buying it on Amazon and have it delivered to where my wife is staying in NY.

mj

09-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Amazon.com: Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1 Digital Flash for Pentax Cameras: Camera & Photo
09-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Regarding the store, Adorama and B&H are generally excellent, with free shipping in the US (and buying from them, you can support this forum )

With your budget, the best-featured flash you can get is probably the Sigma 530 Super (or the 610 super, if it's available now). The Standard version has less features, but is also excellent and inexpensive.

Metz flashes are more compact, similarly specked, but with more options (like a USB port for firmware updates). Pentax flashes are excellent but cost a lot more.

It really depends on the features you want. If you plan on using your flash in automatic mode, like you would do the built-in flash, you need PTTL. With that mode, the flash and camera talk to each other and set the exposure together.

If you plan on doing things manually, you could get a much cheaper flash like a Yongnuo 460 that you can buy for 40$ shipped to anywhere in the world (dealextreme.com).

A thing that I would never live without is the tilt and swivel function for the head. The Pentax AF360 is an excellent flash, with a tilting head, but it does not swivel, a deal breaker for me. You will regret getting a flash with no swiveling head.

For the flashes I recommended from Sigma, the Super version gives you PTTL and fine tuning of manual controls. The Standard version gives you PTTL and limited manual controls.

apart from that, it boils down to the features you want:

Zoom head (with or without controls)
Tilt
Swivel
PTTL or manual only (or auto, if you use a used flash)
AF assist beam
Flash power
Flash recycle time
Battery life
Weigth

That's about it.
09-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

along with the flashes recommended above, you could also grab a cheap yongnuo or four if you don't particularly mind the lack of pttl. They're the full manual alternative to these flashes and would also be pretty handy to have around as slave flashes

10-02-2011, 12:31 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks a ton for all the responses. Quite a lot of information here! Apologies for the delay in responding. I was out on a photo outing for part of the week and on return was swamped with the backlog work!

Very useful information. Will do my analysis and come back with more queries if needed. The Yongnuo 460 seems quite nice. However, I had a problem of delivery with dealextreme last time when I purchased a remote control for the K20D. Will check on Amazon or B&H for availability.

On a side note has any one used the Manfrotto 190XPROB Pro Aluminum Tripod? It's available for $100 after rebate at B&H. I will have to pay 8% New York state tax + 3.5% credit card charges though :-( Same is available for $139+3.5% credit card charges on Amazon. Shipping is free in both the cases. Will buy from B&H and earn some brownie points for supporting the forum

Once again thanks!

mj