Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #1

Rollei Beta 4, broken foot

The Beta's foot got snapped off when the wife moved the camera case off the back of a chair, and the K1000 and Beta fell flash first onto the floor. This was years ago. Ever since, any time I wanted to use my flash I just stretched a rubber band around the top of the flash and the bottom plate of the camera. It worked well enough to secure the flash, but I never liked how it looked--like I'm too poor to do better than "stuff newsprint in my hole-y shoes."

Now I want to use the Beta on my K100D Super, but I want to replace the foot; and also need assurances that this old-school flash unit won't fry something sensitive on the digital camera. I've been scrounging online off & on for weeks now trying to locate a replacement foot, either an exact or a very close match to the original Rollei part, to no avail. I'm almost ready to just scrounge up a scrap of aluminum to fabricate a foot to epoxy on.

Anyone have parts, leads, or suggestions?

09-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
Banned

there is one on ebay right now for 33 bucks ‘buy it now’ with free shipping. if you aren’t opposed to using ebay. I’m not skilled enough to replace such broken parts or even offer any help on how to do it, but wouldn’t possibly be easier to simply replace the flash? with an older model such as this, it doesn’t seem to be too expensive. of course if 33 bucks is too much, I’m sorry I can't offer any advice on fixing it! as for trigger voltage and use on your digital, I don’t know I think I must say ‘use at your own risk’. I couldn’t find the tigger voltage for the beta 4, but the beta 3 is listed as 116V, so I assume the 4 would be similar. as far as I know, the maximum voltage pentax suggests is 30, so your beta 4 is well above that.
09-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Unless the Rollei Beta 4 has a sentimental value or unless you can find an organ donor at a very low cost, I suggest you replace it with another flash unit.

A decent copy of Pentax AF280T is about $50 (there are several from KEH), not much more than the price of a used copy of the Rollei Beta 4 (if you can find one). The Pentax AF280T is one of the most loved flash units.

Or you can get a copy of Sunpak 4xxD for more power. Here's an example, for less than $50, get this flash and this module (I know, the module is for Minolta, but it will work with Pentax DSLRs).

Last edited by SOldBear; 09-30-2011 at 12:14 PM.
09-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your helpful responses, guys.

If the trigger voltage is too high for DSLRs, I guess I go find myself another flash unit....(sigh).

At least I can keep the Beta 4 for the K1000 (rubber band and all ), plus use it for a second or slave flash when I start experimenting with more elaborate lighting and flash setups.