Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wein peanut digital optical flash trigger

For the benefit of anyone considering using this item to trigger a Vivitar 285HV flash, my advice is to forget it. I've tried two of the peanuts, and neither would trigger the flash even at point-blank range. I've since read somewhere they won't work unless the flash's trigger voltage is more than 5, and my 285 shows 4.5 volts. Whether this is the problem or not, I've given up on the Wein, and returned it to B&H for a refund this time.

CN

12-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've tried several Wein slaves with both my Sigma 500DG Super and the Vivitar285HV. None worked with either.

Try this one. Works well and reliably.
Hama | Hot-Shoe Slave | HA-6967 | B&H Photo Video
12-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alan:

The Hama is not listed as a "digital" unit which, at least in the case of the Wein triggers, means that it ignores the pre-flash. Does the Hama fire on the pre-flash or ignore it? Thanks

CN
12-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What are you using as your main flash? The Vivitar 285 is not a P-TTL flash. I could be wrong but, I would think what ever flash you are using to fire it, would need to be used in manual mode. I'm not sure how you would set up proper lighting ratios otherwise.

I use My Vivitar in conjunction with a Sigma EF500DG Super set up in manual mode. I now use pocket wizards, but before that, the Sigma connected via sync cord, and the Vivitar fired by the optical slave.

12-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My original intent was to use the Vivitar in conjunction with the pop-up flash on the K10. Does it (the pop-up) emit a pre-flash if used with the camera in the manual mode? If so, any optical slave trigger I used would have to be able to ignore that pre-flash. Thanks

CN
12-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #6

I just tried a 1 second exposure in M mode with trailing sync and saw two flashes so it looks like the K10D probably always does the preflash.

I have the Wein peanut digital trigger and it works fine with my 285HV when triggered with a Canon 580EX. I haven't tried it with the K10D onboard flash, but I'll give that a try later. One thing I noticed about the Wein is it needs to be pushed in all the way to work, and you can only push it in all the way if it is rotated at the proper angle, otherwise it gets blocked.

My 285HV could also be running at a slightly higher voltage. I don't recall what it was.
12-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Clem,
In your case using the pop up flash, you are correct, you need a digital slave, to account for the pre-flash. You can not turn the popup's pre-flash off.

12-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Hi Clem,
In your case using the pop up flash, you are correct, you need a digital slave, to account for the pre-flash. You can not turn the popup's pre-flash off.
Set the camera to MF to turn off the focus aid flashes in dark conditions.