Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AF Assist a TTL-only function? Tumax, Opteka, Yongnuo 465 Owners come on in!

I'm shopping for a cheap hot shoe bounce flash for my K-x and there is one feature that I would really like, an AF assist lamp. The situations I need to use bounce flash for are situations where some of my cheaper lenses (I'm looking at you, 55-200 f4-5.6!) perform horribly with autofocus.

Now, before you start telling me to focus manually, I wear glasses and there are no AF-confirm lights on the K-x so I MF really isn't an option.

So, one of the flashes I was looking at that has AF Assist is the Opteka EF-750 for P-TTL. This flash is sold under various names (Tumax among others).

My question to anyone who has such a flash - does the AF-Assist lamp work in manual mode?

99% of the bounce flash I do is manual.

Another reason I ask is that the Yongnuo 465 flash has the AF-Assist lamp and states compatibility with Pentax (though not with P-TTL). So would the AF-Assist lamp work with the Yongnuo 465?

10-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It will not light the AF assist beam in manual focus mode, if it's anything like my sig a PTTL flash. It will light it if you use manual EXPOSURE but AF.

The Yongnuo 465 will work only as a manual flash on a Pentax camera, if at all. You should get a 460 if you plan on getting a Yongnuo.

If you're not photogrpahing people, you could use a small laser pointer with a patterned hologram to help the AF system when conditions warrant it.
10-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, maybe I should have been more clear - I use mainly manual flash, with auto-focus. So would a P-TTL flash, set to manual discharge still light up the AF assist lamp?

Is that what you're talking about when you say manual exposure above?
10-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
I use mainly manual flash, with auto-focus. So would a P-TTL flash, set to manual discharge still light up the AF assist lamp?

Is that what you're talking about when you say manual exposure above?
Yes that's what I meant. Based on my Sigma 530 ST, you will not get an AF light if using the flash in manual. but that could very well be specific to Sigma. What's sure is that the 465 will not give you an AF assist beam on a Pentax camera.

10-13-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great. Thanks for the answer!