Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
AF400T... To Pentax TR Power Pack or to find a hack... that is the question?

... is a nobler thing to find the genuine ma-coy or to seek a alternate solution. In seriousness...
So I am looking to figure out if I can rig a AF400T flash to a power pack of some sort, but in all honesty, I just don't know what is out there. I've heard that Sunpak manufactured the Pentax TR Power Pack way back then, but the cord configuration and voltage was different? So I looking for some ideas and suggestion from AF400T owners of what works. Thanks all.

10-19-2011, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Disclaimer: I don't have the AF400T, but have played with flash power packs, mainly Metz and Quantum.

Are you after reducing cycle time or prolonging shooting time?

If it is the latter, the simplest and probably the most elegant solution is to get a hold of a used copy of Quantum Battery 2 (KEH has them at reasonable price). It uses 8V SLA battery to supply low voltage to flash units that take 6 battery cells. The replacement battery is very common and inexpensive ($20). The cycle time is about the same as from fresh "normal" battery cells, and a charge will last you a few hundred full-power strobes.

If you are after reducing cycle time, you need a high-voltage pack. For whatever reason, Quantum does not list the AF400T (it doesn't list the current AF540FGZ either, but I haven't had any problem using it with a Quantum Turbo). Can you post a picture of the high voltage input port of the AF400T?