Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #1

Where to buy Tumax flash with Wireless p-ttl

I would really like to buy this one (Tumax DPT586AFZ / DPT588AFZ) and try some p-ttl wireless for a moderate price.
However, albeit it was announced almost a year ago, I still can't find any e-bay or other seller, that has it, beside some strange store in Singapore
TTL Flash

Perhaps any of you has had better luck and can point me at some online vendor?

Thanks

10-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can buy it directly from Icorp/Tumax, via Paypal. E-mail them at icorp@itumax.com.

They're actually much more responsive than any of the US importers/relabellers that I've tried to contact with questions.
11-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
You can buy it directly from Icorp/Tumax, via Paypal. E-mail them at icorp@itumax.com.

They're actually much more responsive than any of the US importers/relabellers that I've tried to contact with questions.
I saw your post and decided to email them a couple of days ago. Any idea how long they usually take to respond? Also, about how much did you pay for yours (if you don't mind answering).

Thanks.
11-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I saw your post and decided to email them a couple of days ago. Any idea how long they usually take to respond? Also, about how much did you pay for yours (if you don't mind answering).

Thanks.
Either they respond with a day or two or not at all. Try sending again. Sorry, by "much more responsive" I didn't mean to imply that their responsiveness is awesome. It's just better than what you'll get from Sakar.

I haven't purchased one yet... it's on my plans though.

11-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Either they respond with a day or two or not at all. Try sending again. Sorry, by "much more responsive" I didn't mean to imply that their responsiveness is awesome. It's just better than what you'll get from Sakar.

I haven't purchased one yet... it's on my plans though.
I'd like to get one as well. Any idea how much Tumax sells them for?

I read on another thread that this is a rebranded version of the Tumax: Buy.com - Rokinon D980AF-P TTL AF Zoom Camera Flash for Pentax K20D/K200D/K10D/K100D DSLR Cameras

Any idea if that's true?

Thanks.
11-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd like to get one as well. Any idea how much Tumax sells them for?
I had a price quote from them but I can't find it now... it was under US $200 but I don't remember the specifics.

I read on another thread that this is a rebranded version of the Tumax: Buy.com - Rokinon D980AF-P TTL AF Zoom Camera Flash for Pentax K20D/K200D/K10D/K100D DSLR Cameras

Any idea if that's true?
I don't know for sure but I have a strong belief that this is the case based on a) strong visual similarities, b) the fact that a) Tumax/Icorp does sell their products to other companies, and c) there exist shipping records for boxes going from Icorp to Sakar, the company which sells flashes as Digital Concepts and Vivitar (no relation to the old-school company of the same name — they just bought the brand).

However, the specific model you link to looks like it's from the DPT3 Series, so it wouldn't have either wireless P-TTL or USB upgrades, and based on the Pentax models they list, I suspect that it has older firmware which wouldn't work with current Pentax camera bodies.
11-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I had a price quote from them but I can't find it now... it was under US $200 but I don't remember the specifics.

I don't know for sure but I have a strong belief that this is the case based on a) strong visual similarities, b) the fact that a) Tumax/Icorp does sell their products to other companies, and c) there exist shipping records for boxes going from Icorp to Sakar, the company which sells flashes as Digital Concepts and Vivitar (no relation to the old-school company of the same name — they just bought the brand).

However, the specific model you link to looks like it's from the DPT3 Series, so it wouldn't have either wireless P-TTL or USB upgrades, and based on the Pentax models they list, I suspect that it has older firmware which wouldn't work with current Pentax camera bodies.
I thought that might be the case. Do you know how the wireless p-ttl works? Does that just mean that the flash doesn't need to be connected to the camera and it will still work? Also, what do you mean by usb upgrades?

11-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I thought that might be the case. Do you know how the wireless p-ttl works? Does that just mean that the flash doesn't need to be connected to the camera and it will still work? Also, what do you mean by usb upgrades?
Wireless P-TTL: Wireless - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison — in short, yes, it's an easy way to get off-camera flash with automatic exposure. In my experience with Sigma, Metz, and Pentax flashes it works very well. (In fact, it's more consistent than on-camera, non-bounced P-TTL can be.)

USB upgrades is something I need to add to my guide. Previously only Metz offered it. No third-party flashes are licensed by Pentax; it's all reverse engineered. When new camera bodies come out, sometimes the reverse engineering breaks. In that case, you need to upgrade the flash's firmware. With Sigma or Promaster, you send it back to the service center and they do it for free. Same with the low-end Metz flashes, but with the higher-end Metz models, there's a USB port and you can do the firmware upgrade yourself, just as you might upgrade a camera firmware. Occasionally Metz supports new features this way too.

The generic flashes are a particular concern here because there's usually no guaranteed way to get support, and the companies selling labeled imports don't really seem to stand behind their products. A lot of the on-the-market-now generic flashes don't work with the K-7 or K-r even though those models have been out for a long time. So, assuming Icorp/Tumax follows through with updating the firmware when needed and posting it on their website, this is a big step forward.
11-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wireless P-TTL: Wireless - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison — in short, yes, it's an easy way to get off-camera flash with automatic exposure. In my experience with Sigma, Metz, and Pentax flashes it works very well. (In fact, it's more consistent than on-camera, non-bounced P-TTL can be.)

USB upgrades is something I need to add to my guide. Previously only Metz offered it. No third-party flashes are licensed by Pentax; it's all reverse engineered. When new camera bodies come out, sometimes the reverse engineering breaks. In that case, you need to upgrade the flash's firmware. With Sigma or Promaster, you send it back to the service center and they do it for free. Same with the low-end Metz flashes, but with the higher-end Metz models, there's a USB port and you can do the firmware upgrade yourself, just as you might upgrade a camera firmware. Occasionally Metz supports new features this way too.

The generic flashes are a particular concern here because there's usually no guaranteed way to get support, and the companies selling labeled imports don't really seem to stand behind their products. A lot of the on-the-market-now generic flashes don't work with the K-7 or K-r even though those models have been out for a long time. So, assuming Icorp/Tumax follows through with updating the firmware when needed and posting it on their website, this is a big step forward.
I've been searching everywhere to try and find a P-TTL flash that works with my Kr. Wireless P-TTL would be great, but I don't think it would be a necessity. So far, no luck I looked into the Metz, but that is really out of my price range. As far as Vivitar's, Rokinon, Bell & Howell, Tumax, and all other Tumax rebrands, they seem to be out of stock everywhere, and anything that I do find that appears to be P-TTL has reports of not being compatible with my Kr. I'm trying to find something around the 100 dollar price range. I could probably go up to more if the lens is really worth it, but above 200 is not an option.

I have to admit I feel a little frustrated right now with Pentax. There seems to be such little support out there. I know that I could probably get a manual flash and learn to use that over time, but I would love to have the automatic option as well...
11-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've been searching everywhere to try and find a P-TTL flash that works with my Kr. Wireless P-TTL would be great, but I don't think it would be a necessity. So far, no luck I looked into the Metz, but that is really out of my price range. As far as Vivitar's, Rokinon, Bell & Howell, Tumax, and all other Tumax rebrands, they seem to be out of stock everywhere, and anything that I do find that appears to be P-TTL has reports of not being compatible with my Kr. I'm trying to find something around the 100 dollar price range. I could probably go up to more if the lens is really worth it, but above 200 is not an option..
I'd encourage you to stretch a little bit, or save. $200-250 is a fair price to pay for a nice flash with wireless support.

I have to admit I feel a little frustrated right now with Pentax. There seems to be such little support out there. I know that I could probably get a manual flash and learn to use that over time, but I would love to have the automatic option as well...
Well, I'm not sure it's quite fair to be frustrated with Pentax over this. As one can see from my other thread about the need for an update to the system, Pentax flash isn't perfect. But, I don't think that's because what they have is overpriced (at least not when you consider Metz and Sigma). The Canon 430EX II is $270. The Nikon SB-700 is $330! (Nikon does have a small wireless unit you can get for $170, but that's kind of special-case.)

Basically, I think your expectations are a little bit unrealistic.

If you can give up wireless P-TTL, you can go cheaper, but then you need either wires (ugh) or a radio trigger system (which again costs money, and has other plusses and minuses).

It would be awesome if Pentax had a really affordable wireless P-TTL slave, but they're not out of line with the competition to not offer it.
11-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd encourage you to stretch a little bit, or save. $200-250 is a fair price to pay for a nice flash with wireless support.

Well, I'm not sure it's quite fair to be frustrated with Pentax over this. As one can see from my other thread about the need for an update to the system, Pentax flash isn't perfect. But, I don't think that's because what they have is overpriced (at least not when you consider Metz and Sigma). The Canon 430EX II is $270. The Nikon SB-700 is $330! (Nikon does have a small wireless unit you can get for $170, but that's kind of special-case.)

Basically, I think your expectations are a little bit unrealistic.

If you can give up wireless P-TTL, you can go cheaper, but then you need either wires (ugh) or a radio trigger system (which again costs money, and has other plusses and minuses).

It would be awesome if Pentax had a really affordable wireless P-TTL slave, but they're not out of line with the competition to not offer it.
That makes a lot of sense. I think you're right. To be honest, I don't think I know enough about flash to know what my expectations should be. I guess I need to keep reminding myself that this is an expensive hobby. Takes a while to get used to that. Thanks.
11-06-2011, 04:11 AM   #12

Original Poster
reivax, did you get any response from them?
I am planning to contact them as well.
11-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borish Quote
reivax, did you get any response from them?
I am planning to contact them as well.
Emailed them twice. Have yet to hear from them. I'm pretty much convinced I'm just going to get one of those Metz flashes. I don't need to eat this month anyways.
11-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #14

Original Poster
Reivax, I, understand you very well. I live in a country, where Pentax compatible gear is non-existent. The is no after-market, no proper service centre, and an official importer is, also, official importer of Canon(sic!) So the only reliable source is marketplace here and e-bay.
Metz 58 cost more then 500$ here, and it is way more than I can afford for the enough expensive hobby of mine. 200 bucks for Tumax I can afford (somehow) :-) An getting myself 68$ YN-560. Actually, I want Tumax one no as much for wireless support, but cause it has an upgrade socket. So I can be sure, that my next body would not need another p-ttl flash.
11-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borish Quote
Reivax, I, understand you very well. I live in a country, where Pentax compatible gear is non-existent. The is no after-market, no proper service centre, and an official importer is, also, official importer of Canon(sic!) So the only reliable source is marketplace here and e-bay.
Metz 58 cost more then 500$ here, and it is way more than I can afford for the enough expensive hobby of mine. 200 bucks for Tumax I can afford (somehow) :-) An getting myself 68$ YN-560. Actually, I want Tumax one no as much for wireless support, but cause it has an upgrade socket. So I can be sure, that my next body would not need another p-ttl flash.
I'm actually looking at the Metz 50. It seems to have everything I need. Amazon has them for 225. They also support Wireless P-TTL. The Metz 58 is just way too out of my price range. I'd have to sell a kidney for that.

Last edited by reivax; 11-06-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Added info.