Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pocket wizard just puts different transmitter chips their triggers in for each region. The chips are identical except they are tuned to different frequencies like a radio. Technically you can't use PWs designed for North America in Asia for example, of course they work just fine, it's just a regulation. It's pretty much SOP for any RF product, different versions for different regions.

11-11-2011, 01:29 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe the alternative would be some form of add-on port that's partly internal so it doesn't protrude from the camera. Although the whole point of having it in the camera is simplicity and convenience to the user. I don't use the current wireless system too much, but I hit the limitations frequently due to distance and line of sight issues.
11-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go for a weather proof flash or better, a water proof flash. In case i am shooting somebody in the pool, i am not frying anyone if the flash is dropped into the water.
03-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
  • Radio wireless control built in. No one else has this, and while optical wireless P-TTL works pretty well (better than some loud voices might have you think), radio would be better in a number of ways. And, this is particularly important to Pentax, because while some third-party triggers now support the big two brands, they're unlikely to do the same for Pentax.
Well, looks like Canon got to this idea first. Oh well — if we can't hope for innovation, hopefully at least Pentax will follow suit.

03-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I noticed that too. Canon is really having a go at closing the gap between their system and Nikon's CLS. I'll bet Pocket Wizard is pissed. I still think the D800 is going to outsell the 5D3, but the new flash will stop it from being a landslide victory.