Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #1

Mini flash for macro photography

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm searching for two smallest flashes possible with manual control to use for macro photography work with flexible arms. GN is not so important because of the short distance to the subject.

Sunpak RD2000 looks almost ideal, but I don't know if it works on Pentax? I was looking for Pentax AF 200FG too - what about this one?

Do anobody have some other suggestion?

11-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Take a look at the Sunpak PF20XD.

- full, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 manual power settings.

- 24mm FOV (135 format).

- slave-mode with preflash suppression.

And it costs less than the two mentioned in your post.
11-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice on Sunpak PF20XD - it looks like great option. Do you have any experience with this flash in macro photography?
11-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You could also try using LEDs instead. I have a twin armed version that works great and was very cheap. Benefit being it's WYSIWYG of course !

11-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
You could also try using LEDs instead. I have a twin armed version that works great and was very cheap. Benefit being it's WYSIWYG of course !
Yes I was thinking to use LEDs also - this idea seems very interesting. I have few questions regarding your setup:
- How do they impact white balance?
- Are you using the ones with 5500K?
- Can you post photo of your rig and some example?

Does anybody know if it is possible to combine 2 or 3 power LEDs like Cree and atach some kind of heatsink? How much power do they need?

It looks like I have a lot of questions
11-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trco Quote
Yes I was thinking to use LEDs also - this idea seems very interesting. I have few questions regarding your setup:
- How do they impact white balance?
- Are you using the ones with 5500K?
- Can you post photo of your rig and some example?

Does anybody know if it is possible to combine 2 or 3 power LEDs like Cree and atach some kind of heatsink? How much power do they need?

It looks like I have a lot of questions
You can custom set your WB in-camera to whatever you like so this shouldn't be an issue.
Sorry I don't have a photo of the rig to hand.
The ones I use occasionally are : 2x F&V model # MVL-30 (DC 3.7v). (see link below) on a twin flexi-armed Fotopro DMM-901 bracket (sorry couldn't find an EBay link for these - you'll have to go to Google etc). These are very strong little LEDs !

Video Light MVL-30 F&V LED Rechargeable SONY DV | eBay
11-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you for the link. It seems like one of the option which could work for me.
Is the power of light from these two enough for macro? Do you difuse them?

11-14-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trco Quote
Thank you for the link. It seems like one of the option which could work for me.
Is the power of light from these two enough for macro? Do you difuse them?
I sometimes use them outside in bright sunlight to prevent shadows when shooting macros (other times I use an off camera flash) so for indoor work they would be very powerful and would almost certainly need diffusing though I haven't had a need to do so of course.
11-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For flash and macro use, i set to 1/64 within 20-30cm. Mini flash like the sunpak pz42 with 2 batteries, i set to 1/32 which should be the equivalent as the big one (sigma 530 super). If the light is too strong, i set the distance of the flash longer from the subject (light fall off rule). I dont need difusers. The flash bulb is too large compare to subject that always casts a soft light on it. And i shoot at f32 or f22, but also depends.

Big flash with 1/128 power might be better. But i also have ND gel for flashes if i need them.

Enjoy.