Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #1

Newbie - Kx, Sigma flash and ebay sync cord?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Newbie - I just purchased this cord http://www.ebay.ca/itm/220866158781?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 from ebay hoping to use it with my Sigma ef 530 dg st flash and Kx camera, but I can't figure out how to get it to trigger the flash?? Is there something I'm missing? A setting or something that needs to be changed in the camera. The flash works fine when it's on the hot shoe, but with the cable, it won't fire at all. It does recognize that it's plugged in and turns itself on.

If there isn't a way to make this work, can you recommend a different flash or cord that would allow me to try out off-camera flash as inexpensively as possible?

Thanks.

11-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Forum Member

I have the same cord, and mine works great. You need to make sure the cord is secure in the hot shue. It may look secure, Make sure the camera is set to flash mode. The flash also has to be set as well. Set it to full auto and see if that works. It is difficult to Dx. the problem without actually seeing it.The cord you have purchased, is for off camera. Try you tube as well. There should be some tutorials
11-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The camera body and the flash should behave the same whether the flash is attached directly to the hotshoe of the camera, or there is a cord in between.

Check to make sure the connectors are firmly seated. If the problem persists, use an Ohm-meter to verify that the cord is good.
11-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
So i tried hooking it back up and it seems to be flashing, but isn't in sync with the shutter so the image is still dark?

11-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mpphoto Quote
it seems to be flashing, but isn't in sync with the shutter so the image is still dark?
This is weird. The camera triggers the flash but the strobe from the flash is not in sync with the camera's shutters! Does this happen when the flash is attached directly to the camera's hotshoe?

Take a test photo in front of a mirror with the image of the flash visible in the mirror.
11-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #6

Original Poster
So, I tried to take a picture in the mirror and the flash wouldn't trigger at all. I fiddled for awhile and finally decided to put fresh batteries in everything and it started working. Duh!

Thanks for the help.