Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
high speed flash

Is there any flash unit that will keep up with camera in continious shooting mode [HI speed]? mains or battery?

I have found setting a speed gun on minimum output it sort of works but the continious shutter rate slows right down.

It seems unlikly as they all use, I assume, some form of capacitor charging system, but I ask just in case there is something out there

11-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to bundle multiple flash units at lower power, depends on the power needed.

Say 7fps, approx 5 seconds recycle time, then you may need to set 1/32 power with one unit. If that's too dim, use 2 units each 1/32 power.
4 units with 1/8 power in total. The limitation is the camera. It slows down when the internal buffer is filled up...
11-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I used to bundle multiple flash units at lower power, depends on the power needed.

Say 7fps, approx 5 seconds recycle time, then you may need to set 1/32 power with one unit. If that's too dim, use 2 units each 1/32 power.
4 units with 1/8 power in total. The limitation is the camera. It slows down when the internal buffer is filled up...
Yes understood, thank you. I have done that it's the 5 seconds recycle time I want to cut down.

I read something some where about high speed flash but I can't find it now.
11-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
D W
Veteran Member

There are Quantum, Lumedyne units (US) that will give you more power and faster recycle. Bowen in UK has a battery powered unit at 600WS.

The weight of the circuitry means and external powerpack/supply and the flash head on camera. Also the cost is higher.

11-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Yes understood, thank you. I have done that it's the 5 seconds recycle time I want to cut down.

I read something some where about high speed flash but I can't find it now.
For High Speed Flash, did you read about High Speed Sync? High Speed Sync allows you to use a flash with a shutter speed faster than 1/180sec. It does not allow you to take faster pictures in a row, just a faster shutter.
11-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it's the in a row i'm after
11-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
D W
Veteran Member

it's the in a row i'm after
Bron had an AC powered unit that give you 5 full power 600J flash per second. It was not cheap and not many were sold. Most of the reputable rental houses world wide stock it for rental. It was not something one would invest in but rent on a job demand basis.

11-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there any flash unit that will keep up with camera in continious shooting mode [HI speed]? mains or battery?

I have found setting a speed gun on minimum output it sort of works but the continious shutter rate slows right down.

It seems unlikly as they all use, I assume, some form of capacitor charging system, but I ask just in case there is something out there

Change your shooting conditions so that you can shoot at lower power. If you need to pop at full power, it will never work unless you have really specialized flashes. Going to lower power will allow the flash to fire several pops at a time.

Using lower power will also decrease your odds of overheating your flash.
11-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Is there a way to alternate flash units?
11-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
interesting concept and could well be a solution.