Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Small flash to trigger optical slaves?

Hi all,

I use a pair of Vivitar 285 flashes off camera with Wein optical slaves when shooting portraits indoors; I trigger them with an on-camera Pentax 280T.

The system works well for me. (Manual camera settings, dial the ISO up and down for exposure adjustment if necessary.)

My only complaint with this setup is the size of the 280, which is bulkier than it needs to be.

Can anyone recommend a tiny flash unit, available used and cheap, that offers auto and manual settings as well as bounce and swivel?

I know I could use the K-5's onboard flash if I got digital slave triggers, but I like having the ability to direct the on-camera flash away from the subject.

Thanks,

Bob

11-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sunpak pz40 for canon or nikon, manual mode, power vary, angle vary, zoom head vary. I bought new for 30 usd a piece. Tiny, uses two AA batt. I use them with radio trigger.
I should get a dozen when available.
11-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. Looks like the Sunpak has no swivel, though; one of the reasons I like the Pentax 280 is that I can direct the flash to one side for a little fill when I want.
12-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

When you get into swivel, you get into higher end flash and bulk. I suspect that you may need to take the 280 for that purpose, and use a smaller, 2 AA flash when bulk and weight are more important.

12-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

if you set the on-board flash to only act as a trigger (in the settings menu), it should have almost no impact on exposure unless you are doing macro photography. I use it all the time for portraits and never have a problem with the exposure.
12-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
if you set the on-board flash to only act as a trigger (in the settings menu), it should have almost no impact on exposure unless you are doing macro photography.
This does not apply to the OP. The preflash strobe of the built-in flash will prematurely trigger the optical slave units. Some optical slaves can ignore the preflash strobe, but I don't think that's the case here.
12-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I guess you're right, my slaves are PTTL...