Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
off topic..
sometimes..pro do intentionly create these kind of shadow when take potrait...especially with male character
actually I feel ur photo do look good with the shadow...
This is true! Shadows can be a good thing, all depending on what you want!

And as for all of this flash business... It may not be a bad idea to go this route. If you are having issues with the heat from continuous lighting (trust me, your models will, too, unless you want to make them sweat ) then a flash setup would be good to keep that heat down. You can use flashes with reflectors, diffusers... and so forth, just like with continuous light, to help help shape and control that light. Plus, you'll have a light and portable setup you can travel with if you like!

So there's lots of options to weigh, what ever you may prefer. I like continuous light, but that's basically because that's what I use for filmmaking and haven't exactly gotten around to playing around with flashes for my photography quite yet.

12-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the flash is only used in the studio, then there are some inexpensive options that will give you modeling lights and predictability. I also have a small room (11x13) which I use for a studio, and I've used Alien Bees. However, I put in an order for the Flashpoint 320a at Adorama to be delivered Monday that I will use with an umbrella for fill. It is $99 shipped for 150 W/S--a little more than 1/3 the cost of an Alien Bee at that power. The Alien Bees are reputedly better quality with a better system, but if the Flashpoint works out, this may be the best deal for enthusiasts with small studio. There are so many more light modifiers available for studio strobes, as opposed to light sources such as construction lights.

So, before spending much more on makeshift solutions, it might make sense to look into an inexpensive studio light. Umbrellas and stands are not expensive, either, if they don't have to take pro treatment.