Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #1

Need some help with shadows in small room studio.

Hi!
I decided to use a small room as my studio but as a noob I am having issues with shadows.
Currently I am using one of those Construction work two lamp stands.
Basically I am not sure what to use to remove the shadow I am getting to the left side of the subject.
I still need to order a background (probably green and blue screens instead).
I have nothing else but the camera and the lights now as I am not sure what else I need.

This is a picture I took of myself as a test.

Here is the room how it looks right now (pardon the mess):

For that show I used only one of the lamps from the two in the image.
Thanks for your help.

11-26-2011, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
Try having the subject(or yourself) stepping away from the wall for starters. That should help minimize the shadow projecting against the wall. Also try raising the lights higher. Since they are shorter than you, and most likely most of your upcoming subjects, they're shooting the light upwards and projecting the shadow very visibly. Raising them will help with that. And my last suggestion would be to light the wall behind the subject, too. That will wash out the background with light and take out most shadows. Plus it can provide a nice backlight for the subject which helps them pop out from the back drop. Working with construction work lights can be very difficult, but I think if you play around with my 3 suggestions you may be able to find something that works for your "studio." Good luck!
11-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
First thanks for the quick reply!
Second, I got a much smaller single light but it is only 250W compared to the 500W on the tripod. I tried it but it seems not to be powerful enough to do the job.
You think I should get a 500 instead?
I am thinking on returning those lights and getting the other one which is taller if that helps then.
Thanks again
11-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #4

You'll most likely want to use an equally powerful light or greater for the background so it can compete against the other 500W to effectively wash out that shadow. I would recommend looking into some actual studio lights, as they are easier to manipulate and work with for lighting. Barn doors on a studio light are wonderful to shape the light. Here's a thread for some ideas on cheaper light setups: Cheap Studio Setup

Just some food for thought for the future! Best of luck.

11-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use a flash point to the wall, to overrun the shadow. Use with radio trigger. Use gobo to cover flash so it will not interfer with the subject.
11-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you don't have enough room to have him step away from the wall, hang a sheet a few feet in front of the light. This will diffuse and soften the light and make the shadow on the wall much softer (as well as being more flattering to your subject).
11-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Bounce the light off the ceiling and/or one of the walls.

11-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #8

Original Poster
Do you guys think a kit like this is better?
http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Studio-Umbrella-Continuous-Lighting/dp/B0...pr_product_top
I just see the lamps being just 45W so that kind of seems to low but then again...what do I know lol
11-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #9

Those bulbs are CFL's, so they are actually more equal to 125 watts each bulb. That should throw a decent amount of light in a smaller studio.
11-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #10

Original Poster
Oh so considering the small room...it looks fine and more pro than my current ones :-)
11-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

off topic..
sometimes..pro do intentionly create these kind of shadow when take potrait...especially with male character
actually I feel ur photo do look good with the shadow...
11-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
off topic..
sometimes..pro do intentionly create these kind of shadow when take potrait...especially with male character
actually I feel ur photo do look good with the shadow...
Why thank you so much!
I did get a lot of compliments from friends (well they are friends so I guess that is a biased opinion lol), from all the pics I took on that session. It was a test session as you can see there is not even a background just the wall.
There is a lot to learn but I really like it which is why I decided to setup this small room. I might even move to a much bigger one in the basement eventually.
Now I need to get a better subject than myself to shoot at. Time to go by the ice rink and talk to my figure skater friends! LOL
The lights do heat up the room fast so I am seriously considering buying a kit because right now is getting cold outside but when winter is gone, I cant imagine lasting in there with those lights too long
Is a flash a must if I am shooting with lights already? I read comments about using a flash and it confuses me if it is in a room with the lights already set up correctly.

Regards
11-29-2011, 03:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolin95 Quote
Is a flash a must if I am shooting with lights already?
No, not really. Flash is used for portability. Flash is a different approach, different solution. I found myself better with flashes:
Stronger, cheaper, lighter, can freeze frames 1/10000 sec, can create effects like rim light etc... I can setup a portable studio in minutes.
11-29-2011, 05:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
No, not really. Flash is used for portability. Flash is a different approach, different solution. I found myself better with flashes:
Stronger, cheaper, lighter, can freeze frames 1/10000 sec, can create effects like rim light etc... I can setup a portable studio in minutes.
Not to mention flashes provide a lot of flexibility and adjustability, even cheap manual ones. Not to mention you can take them with you easily everywhere.

If I were you I would get an Umbrella, stand or 2 and couple of YN460 flashes. It should be cheap kit that ads you a lot of versatility.

Next thing you might want to do is read strobist 101, it should give you a lot of ideas of what you can achieve with such a simple setup.
11-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

u can either use flash/strobe or continous light to get great potrait
as people above said..flash can freeze frame..whereas for continous light.. u want ur subject hold still..if child tend to move body a bit..the shot might be blur
good thing for continous light is what u see is what u get in the shot and it can be use for video too..so dual usage..