Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone tried the Polaroid Tri-Mode fiash triggers?

Has anyone tried the "Polaroid Tri-Mode Wireless Camera & Flash Remote for Canon, Pentax, Samsung " triggers before? The main reason I'm asking is because it says:

True hot shoe sync allows for full off camera control of flash unit without loss of TTL functions so it's ideal for light stands, flash brackets, etc.

Product Link:
Polaroid Tri-Mode Wireless Camera & Flash Remote PLRDRC B&H

If it did pass along TTL, that would be great (high speed sync...). I'm assuming that product description is false, but I wanted to see if anyone had tried them to confirm. I'm almost willing to drop $50 just to find out.

12-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Polaroid Tri-Mode Wireless Camera & Flash Remote for Canon, Pentax, Samsung

You should try one and let us know - it looks like it has all the Pentax contacts on it!
12-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
You should try one and let us know - it looks like it has all the Pentax contacts on it!
Yeah, I noticed that too.

I sent an email to B&H to see if they can confirm the product description.

Since my posting here, I found out they look identical to Meike MK-RC7 triggers, but I can't find much information on those either.
12-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
they look identical to Meike MK-RC7 triggers, but I can't find much information on those either.
Isn't that the way it always goes!!

12-02-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I don't see how it could support Canon and Pentax TTL, since the systems are not compatible at all and the pins are even arranged differently.
12-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I don't see how it could support Canon and Pentax TTL, since the systems are not compatible at all and the pins are even arranged differently.
I think the dip switches are used to configure it for one system or the other. As long as the pins and contacts are there - and they appear to be there for both Pentax and Canon - it's a matter of designing the device to handle the signaling for both systems. It probably simply needs to be switched over before changing platforms.
12-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I think the dip switches are used to configure it for one system or the other. As long as the pins and contacts are there - and they appear to be there for both Pentax and Canon - it's a matter of designing the device to handle the signaling for both systems. It probably simply needs to be switched over before changing platforms.
The DIP switches are for frequency selection.

I think these are Pentax "compatible" in the same way that the Canon version of the Yongnuo RF602 is sold as "compatible". It includes a cable for remote shutter release, which is the same for Canon and Pentax. In the case of the Yongnuo, the Nikon transmitter is actually better suited for the Pentax hotshoe and it can be modified to sync at 1/180, which the Canon can not.

12-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd skip them and go for a set of Cactus V5's myself...
12-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I'd skip them and go for a set of Cactus V5's myself...
Yeah, probably a better buy. I don't think I'm going to buy any triggers, but I'll wait and see if B&H responds to my message.

Having FP sync in a trigger would be a big help. Otherwise ND filters would have to be used in various instances and that isn't an idea solution for various reasons.
12-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

At the risk of stating the obvious, I'll point out that one shouldn't take too much comfort in the units coming from a well-known name like Polaroid. The company went defunct and the name has been sold/licensed and there is no real connection between anything that says Polaroid on it now and in old days. Certainly one can't make any assumptions regarding quality of the product. (Same thing for Yashica brand, by the way).
12-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The DIP switches are for frequency selection.

I think these are Pentax "compatible" in the same way that the Canon version of the Yongnuo RF602 is sold as "compatible".
It became clear there was likely a problem with my assertion after I found this link to a Polaroid product guide: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCsQFjAB...EUUXDalYr1XqTA

Polaroid doesn't even claim to support Pentax, according to this document. However, I made my statement based on the photo from the single B&H link provided. And it should still be technically possible.

But now that I see that B&H used the same generic photo for all five variants of this product, I doubt it supports Pentax TTL. It will be interesting to see how B&H responds.
12-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
At the risk of stating the obvious, I'll point out that one shouldn't take too much comfort in the units coming from a well-known name like Polaroid. The company went defunct and the name has been sold/licensed and there is no real connection between anything that says Polaroid on it now and in old days. Certainly one can't make any assumptions regarding quality of the product. (Same thing for Yashica brand, by the way).
Yeah I agree. I think it is produced by Meike because the MK-RC7 looks very similar. I did notice Polaroid has an odd flash that has a built-in LED system for dual purpose (video), so I'm holding out to see if these triggers are special in some way.

It became clear there was likely a problem with my assertion after I found this link to a Polaroid product guide: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCsQFjAB...EUUXDalYr1XqTA

Polaroid doesn't even claim to support Pentax, according to this document. However, I made my statement based on the photo from the single B&H link provided. And it should still be technically possible.

But now that I see that B&H used the same generic photo for all five variants of this product, I doubt it supports Pentax TTL. It will be interesting to see how B&H responds.
I just had a response from B&H saying that they are working on the issue:

QuoteQuote:
Hello , my name is Rob K:

Thank you for contacting the Sales Department at B Photo Video and Pro Audio.

We are actually working on this and I will get back to you after we find the answer on that unit if it can really work in TTL and high speed sync on the Pentax bodies.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thank you, we appreciate your business.
I suspect they don't because no one supports Pentax with such features, but it's at least worth finding out with the help of B&H.
12-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So the final word from B&H is this:
QuoteQuote:
Thank you for contacting the Sales Department at B Photo Video and Pro Audio.

I have gone though all the resources we have and it is rated to work in TTL but there is no mention of highspeed sync.

Also we do have a 30 day return policy so that might help you on deciding on this item or not.