Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #1

Confused about flashes... (not flashers!)

Hi all, I've got an headache now... after reading through a whole lot of threads I'm more confused than ever on what flash will suit me 'n' my K20.

I wanted the Pentax 540 as it should be straight forward to use, but with comments like 'flimsy' I don't think it'll cope... plus it's very expensive!

I want a reliable, uncomplicated flash that can tilt and swivel that I can use outside in miserable weather with my K20 whilst taking pictures of 4x4's and animals playing in the mud!

Is there such a thing of a water-proof flash?

Thanks...

Damian

12-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A little rain should be a problem for these things, but I would also take a look at the Metz 58 as it's arguably a bit more sturdy

Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2 TTL Shoe Mount Flash MZ 58327PS B&H Photo

Metz 58 AF-1 Flash - Review

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adam pointed you to some nice flashes,
I'll just add, I had 540 for a while but sold it. For me the build was OK but the colour of light just wasn't it. I far prefer AF500FTZ, although I have to work it manually
12-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Sigma 610 (or 530) Super, the Pentax 540, and the various Metz units will all get the job done. I own the Sigma (not super) and it's great, but a bit large. I believe the 540 is about as large. Metz's flashes are smaller, which is nice. Apart from that they should all work well and even though some people complain about flimsy feelings, I have yet to hear about someone breaking a flash without doing something dramatic (like dropping it on concrete).

12-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies, very helpful. The Metz 58 does indeed look like a great flash, and speaking to others they agree. So, I think I'll put one on my list for xmas... the cjheapest I've found is £285 which is a lot cheaper than the Pentax 540!

Thanks again.