Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

heck get a white film canister cut out a slit and slide over the popup flash. it's diffuse the flash and give softer light. not the most elegant solution but it works.
Ideally any flash you buy should be capable of not only flipping up but rotating as well allowing bounce flash in portrait and landscape. and a diffuser of some sort will soften the light
unfortunately $100 isn't a lot for these features
BH had the Metz 50 with a diffuser for 199 with a softbox and a diffuser. best value i've seen in a while

Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1 TTL Shoe Mount Flash MZ 50317PS B&H Photo

12-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thank you, Everybody! All your advice has been great...I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out! I think I'm going to hold off for a few weeks...maybe wait on my Christmas bonus...and buy a flash that will actually suit my needs. Based on what everybody's told me, my budget just isn't enough right now! Patience is a virtue...so I've heard! I see I have a book suggestion (Thanks, Nuff!) and a pretty good deal to check out from BH (and thanks to you, Eddie)

Ash -- beautiful pictures...adorable little girl! Thanks for your thoughts and for sharing your pics!

I hope everybody enjoys their holidays! Thanks again!
12-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Flash - cheap

Something you might want to try is cutting the power of the on board flash and shoot high iso, costs nothing!

With my K200d I select the Flash Mode screen and turn the e-dial to -1 or-2, with a higher iso reading, so the exposure is for the room and the flash will just light the faces.

Hope that helps.

Tuggie76
12-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Something you might want to try is cutting the power of the on board flash and shoot high iso, costs nothing!

With my K200d I select the Flash Mode screen and turn the e-dial to -1 or-2, with a higher iso reading, so the exposure is for the room and the flash will just light the faces.

Hope that helps.

Tuggie76
I took this last night, iso 1600, -2ev for flash 1/90sec f4.0, may not win any awards but a great keepsake.

The colour kind of sucks in the post but is much better on my monitor!

Last edited by tuggie76; 10-07-2013 at 06:58 PM.
12-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It is small, uncomplicated, made by Pentax, uses P ttl, can be had for 41.81 with shipping. Great for family shots, kids, friends, etc. Lights up a room. Will not replace a fancy high powered flash with a zillion controls, but then again, sometimes all you want is more light than the built in flash. You just can't go wrong here at this price. Click on above link will take you to the Ebay page you need.
12-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Metz 50 is probably the best value in a pTTL flash under $200, it's well made, easy to use, but also powerful. The guide number is 50 compared to Pentax's mid tier AF360 which only has a guide number of 36 (that means more flash horsepower in layman's terms). It has a tilt/swivel head, so what you do is point it up at the ceiling with the bounce card out, or actually turn the head around, and fire it backwards at a wall behind you (make sure it's white or at least neutral) and you should get nice soft even lighting. The Sigma 530 Super might be another to consider, it has a bit more horsepower than the Metz, but I'm not sure the build quality is as good and it runs a bit more.

This is important though, DON'T BUY A FLASH THAT DOESN'T SWIVEL AND TILT, you'll just get more of the same harsh shadows you've been getting, and you'll wish you had saved your money and spent it on something better.
12-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Sigma 530 Super
The Sigma 530 is no longer available. The new Sigma EF-610 is even more powerful. The Super version is full-featured, the ST version lacks High Speed Synch and Wireless, but is only $149. Sigma EF-610 for Pentax

12-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Incidently, a AF280T for sale on the marketplace: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/169625-sale-p...k-x-k-5-a.html
12-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #24

Original Poster
I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on this flash purchase. I got a Christmas-Mom donation of $100 and a pretty decent Christmas bonus! Yay! I've pretty much settled of the Metz 50 AF-1...it seems like it will do what I need, plus has swivel AND tilt...which is great because my camera is rarely horizontal! I just want to make sure...this is a pTTL flash correct? It can communicate with the camera and won't need input from me? I think I need that for now...but I hope there is also manual mode for down the road, when I want the control back!

Thanks again everybody for all you suggestions and help! It's all very much appreciated!
12-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, the 50 AF-1 is pTTL compatible, so you can stick it on the hotshoe and just shoot if that's your thing, or you can try moving it off camera to one side of your subject for some more dramatic fine art lighting, or maybe get a nice Lumiquest style softbox for it, and place it close to your subject, just out of frame for some nice wrap around, window-quality light.

One thing to bear in mind though is the Metz 50 can't be used as a pTTL master unit when controlling multi-light setups. That really shouldn't affect you for now, but if you find you're really getting into this lighting business and want to add more lights to your bag you have two options for your second flash purchase: 1) get the more expensive Pentax 360 or 540, Metz 58, or a Sigma 610 Super if you want to continue working in pTTL mode, or 2) get any flash, cheap or expensive, and learn to use manual mode.