Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
can a light meter...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a Phottix tetra which I like very much. I was wondering if there was a way to get a pc cord and have my polaris light meter fire it? my k10 doesn't have a sync output. there is a socket for a pc cord on the lightmeter, a pc socket on the receivers and a 2.5 mini plug socket on the transmitter.
I would like to try the corded method as I would like to meter the flash output if it is under the ambient light (the manual says corded is the only way to get this type of measurement)

here are the pics for both

thanks

12-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #2

I don't have the same gear as you so this may be a pointless response. I have AB 400s cabled to a wireless receiver and a Sekonic L308-s through a two female to one male Y cable. Have the trigger on my K-5. Hit the 308 and test the lights for my setup. When things are set, press the shutter and a perfectly exposed image. The 308 has the same kind of connector. Yeh, a useless response but a resonce none the less. Dave
12-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
I don't have the same gear as you so this may be a pointless response. I have AB 400s cabled to a wireless receiver and a Sekonic L308-s through a two female to one male Y cable. Have the trigger on my K-5. Hit the 308 and test the lights for my setup. When things are set, press the shutter and a perfectly exposed image. The 308 has the same kind of connector. Yeh, a useless response but a resonce none the less. Dave
thanks

can you give me a pic of that set up? kind of hard to wrap my head around it

cheers
12-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #4

You can get a hot shoe adapter that will except the PC sync cord.

12-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
yep..this kind of hotshoe adapter:
New SC-2 Flash Hot Shoe PC Sync Socket Adapter for Canon Nikon | eBay
has a pc sync port on the side...grab a pc sync cord and you're good to go.

I'd strongly encourage getting a wireless trigger though. If you have that, you press a "get ready to take a reading button" on your light meter, then press the test button on the wireless trigger and read the lightmeter...
12-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
yep..this kind of hotshoe adapter:
New SC-2 Flash Hot Shoe PC Sync Socket Adapter for Canon Nikon | eBay
has a pc sync port on the side...grab a pc sync cord and you're good to go.

I'd strongly encourage getting a wireless trigger though. If you have that, you press a "get ready to take a reading button" on your light meter, then press the test button on the wireless trigger and read the lightmeter...
If the receiver that mounts on the hot shoe has that pc adapter, will that work?
If I choose the "wireless" mode, doesn't the flash have to be stronger then the ambient light? (it doesn't have a ambient light percentage like high end meters)

thanks
12-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
If the receiver that mounts on the hot shoe has that pc adapter, will that work?
If I choose the "wireless" mode, doesn't the flash have to be stronger then the ambient light? (it doesn't have a ambient light percentage like high end meters)
Yes...it'll work fine. It also lets you use multiple transmitters at the same time (one on the hotshoe and one w/ a pc sync cord).

Short answer is "it depends on what you want to do" for your other question.
You don't need the ambient percentage readout...sometimes it's helpful, but you can use your rear screen to see most of it.
Just remember that shutter speed controls ambient. Aperture controls flash.
Go through all the exercises at strobist.com and you'll be a lot stronger.