Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
Forum Member

yongnuo YN-560 flash for k-x

Hi all,

I am thinking of taking some liquid or water splash effects by using pentax k-x, I read about YongNuo YN-560 flash that meet my budget. I would like to know any users of pentax k-x had experiences with this flash?

basically i will get 2 flash units, other than flash units, what else i would probably need?

wireless controllers to trigger the flash right? and 1 more wireless remote control for shutter? any brand to recommend?

thanks!

12-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The YN-560 is a very decent offering for the price, I have been pleased with mine (two of them ). Radio triggers complement it very nicely, of these PT-04s are basic, cheap and have worked well for me. These work with all cameras with the basic center-contact hotshoe, fully manual settings on the flash as well as on the body, of course.
12-18-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good to know it works, radio triggers means the wireless control for flash? does it needs to be dedicatedly made for pentax camera?

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
The YN-560 is a very decent offering for the price, I have been pleased with mine (two of them ). Radio triggers complement it very nicely, of these PT-04s are basic, cheap and have worked well for me. These work with all cameras with the basic center-contact hotshoe, fully manual settings on the flash as well as on the body, of course.
12-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The YN-560 and PT-04 are generic, they work with any camera that has the common hotshoe (Canon, Nikon and Pentax, at least). The interface is is a very simple one: short the center contact with ground (hotshoe frame) to fire, nothing more, so flash output power is set manually by flash controls and exposure is set manually on the camera.

12-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
as long as you avoid the triggers dedicated to anything, the triggers should work. generic triggers also take advantage of the center point contact. some triggers include cheaper ones such as the pt-04s, yongnuo 602s, cactus v2/4/5 and more expensive ones such as elinchrome skyport, paul c buff cybersyncs, and pocket wizard plus 2s
12-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

but remember by use this set up..ur shutter speed is limited by 1/180s...it is not enough to freeze moving subject...I do not know if it is fast enough to freeze water splash...
12-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Note that with flash, you freeze motion with flash duration, not shutter speed

12-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
oh...that cool..
so I can do sport flash photography with yn-560??
I thought I have to use high speed sync flash to freeze motion..
12-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
so I can do sport flash photography with yn-560??
Yes, with ease...

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
I thought I have to use high speed sync flash to freeze motion..
No, that's only a myth...
12-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
hi, is it like open the shutter for few second and let's the flash exposure the image? like the high speed photography?

I read about it, but till i got the flash then i can try it, but first thing come to my mind is there is no way I can make continuous shooting since I have to keep the shutter open for seconds..

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
12-19-2011, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

the flash pops off at somewhere around 1/10000th of a second. the thing about sync speed is that your entire frame is exposed to incoming light at sync speed, any other speed faster than that would result in only part of the frame being open for the 1/10000s pop from the flash. your camera does not have to be open for seconds for this to work, as long as it is at or below sync speed, the flash will do its thing and you will have light.

about high speed sync - this is technically cheating the sensor. It lets you shoot at shutter speeds faster than sync speed by having multiple flash bursts in the duration of the exposure. This ensures that, while only part of the sensor is exposed at all times during the shot, the flash still is going off enough times to fill in all the gaps as the exposed area of the frame moves along the plane
12-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #12

Quote from liukaitc: but remember by use this set up..ur shutter speed is limited by 1/180s...it is not enough to freeze moving subject...I do not know if it is fast enough to freeze water splash...

Your flash duration will be dependent on the power level you choose. At full power it is somewhere around 1/200th sec and
gets shorter as you reduce the power level. The YN560 manual states 1/200th - 1/20000th sec, so to freeze water droplets,
you might want to choose a power level below 1/32 or more. That implies getting the flash close enough to the subject to illuminate
it correctly. If the flash duration at full power is indeed 1/200th sec, you are well covered by Pentax's flash sync speed of 1/180th sec.

It might be an issue with some Canon/Nikon models that support a sync speed of 1/250th sec, but then you'd just dial down the
shutter speed to 1/200th sec.
12-20-2011, 02:48 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I see, so since the light speed is the fastest.any shutter speed so do the job right?
12-20-2011, 03:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

yes and no. if your shutter speed is too slow, there's still ambient light to worry about. If your shutter speed is too fast (aka, over 1/180), the flash won't fire.
12-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
Quote from liukaitc: but remember by use this set up..ur shutter speed is limited by 1/180s...it is not enough to freeze moving subject...I do not know if it is fast enough to freeze water splash...

Your flash duration will be dependent on the power level you choose. At full power it is somewhere around 1/200th sec and
gets shorter as you reduce the power level. The YN560 manual states 1/200th - 1/20000th sec, so to freeze water droplets,
you might want to choose a power level below 1/32 or more. That implies getting the flash close enough to the subject to illuminate
it correctly. If the flash duration at full power is indeed 1/200th sec, you are well covered by Pentax's flash sync speed of 1/180th sec.

It might be an issue with some Canon/Nikon models that support a sync speed of 1/250th sec, but then you'd just dial down the
shutter speed to 1/200th sec.
so still can not do sports flash photography..
still limited to 1/200th at full power..so how about half power..quartar power. etc??
is there a chart?
I guess high speed sync flash is still the way for sports flash