Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Bought my flash before I really understood how.

Hi all,

I know I needed a flash for my K-5 to take good family shots so I went out and bought one. I bought a Metz 50-AF-1 and it looks great on the camera. But I need to make it work great too. Being a self taught novice can some one give me some advice on a good flash tutorial book. Thanks to "You Tube" I understand there is different relationships between apeture/ ISO/ Shutter speed when using flash. The first photos I took with my new flash weren't much different to the in camera flash (Blown out subjects at the front and under-exposed background). I had a look on www.bookdepository.com.uk but I'm not sure which book will start at the basic principles and lead to more advanced techniques.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

12-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't have a book recomendation for you but have you tried bouncing the flash off the ceiling? Turn the flash head straight up and pull out the bounce card. If you have problems with the P-TTL set the Metz on "A" mode. That way it meters the scene. I my experience with the 58 and a K5 that works wonders to produce an evenly lit scene.
12-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter

(1) Use manual mode. Don't be afraid of manual mode. Try manual mode. Really.

--> my method is as follows:
(2) Set shutter speed to something fast enough to catch your subject, for example 1/100. Set aperture to something reasonable you want to use. Set ISO to something appropriate to bring the exposure up a little so that the subject isn't too much brighter than the surroundings, but also low enough to maintain the image quality you need.

(3) Point the flash at the wall or ceiling. P-TTL will set the flash output.

Flash takes a little bit more setup effort, but once you are there you can shoot away for your entire session.
12-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
I don't have a book recomendation for you but have you tried bouncing the flash off the ceiling? Turn the flash head straight up and pull out the bounce card. If you have problems with the P-TTL set the Metz on "A" mode. That way it meters the scene. I my experience with the 58 and a K5 that works wonders to produce an evenly lit scene.
As Zorglub mentions bounce flash is the way to go. I use this technique with my K-X and AF540 flash and always get compliments from my nonshooting friends on how the pics look natural. As far as books I just started reading Understanding Flash Photography by Bryan Peterson because I wanted to start shooting flash manually. So far the book has been of great help. Also check out the Strobist 101 website.

12-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Forum Member

Go here:
Strobist

and start with his first primer on using flash:
Strobist: Lighting 101

very helpful.

no reason to buy a book with the internets.

I also agree with others that if you set flash to A, and maybe cut 1 stop, you cannot go wrong.

and, get a stofen diffuser, they do wonders.
12-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steveeboy Quote
Go here:
Strobist

and start with his first primer on using flash:
Strobist: Lighting 101

very helpful.

no reason to buy a book with the internets.

I also agree with others that if you set flash to A, and maybe cut 1 stop, you cannot go wrong.

and, get a stofen diffuser, they do wonders.
Regarding 'Strobist 101'... Agreed +10 on that!!
Also try and download a copy of 'OneLight' by Zack Arias...
12-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Bouncing has already been mentioned: this eliminates the harsh shadows created by direct flash. The most important single thing to realize with flash IMO is that the flash burst is very short and therefore shutter time has little effect on exposure when most of the light is provided by the flash. Also shutter speeds faster than the 'sync speed' (1/180s in practice) do not work. A basic recipe to get started could be dialing in 'X' on the mode dial, 400 for ISO and 5.6 for aperture with the flash in TTL mode. Then chimp and adjust (flash compensation) to suit .

12-31-2011, 04:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

About the exposure.
I normaly underexpose my photos with 1 or 2 stops and let the flash light fill the rest.

With Pentax it's the best to use M mode or else at least use a fix ISO, that would solve many of the problems.
12-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
With Pentax it's the best to use M mode or else at least use a fix ISO, that would solve many of the problems.
Absolutely agree that M mode is the best way to get the results you want with P-TTL. The flash output will be adjusted to compensate (in my experience, perfectly — if you are using wireless bounce flash) so you get auto-exposure with free control over the other variables.
01-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Neil van Niekirk's "On Camera Flash" He is the master of bounce flash. Manual is good too, but you'll really need to know how to use both.