Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Soft flash diffuser for AF360FGZ?

Any recommendations for a fold-able soft flash diffuser for this flash? No, I'm not interesting in making my own. Price is not really a consideration... I mean they are NOT expensive to begin with. My criteria:

1. Has to fold up relatively compact to fit into a small-to-medium sized camera bag.
2. Has to fit this flash well and have a good attachment system that is easily removed from the flash.
3. Good quality construction and materials, so I don't need to buy another one in 1 year.
4. Covers the 18-55 kit lens at a minimum.

01-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lumiquest makes a number of foldable diffusers/reflectors/soft boxes that are attached with Velcro on the flash. One may be suitable for your situation.

The AF360GFZ is a fixed head flash, so you may also consider getting an off camera setup either wired or wireless. In combination with the diffuser, it will give significantly more options.

Last edited by demp10; 01-04-2012 at 11:29 AM.
01-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for lumiquest. Definitely buy the optional Ultrastrap.
01-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have used the Lumiquest bouncers and they do help. For my purposes I mount an inflatable softbox onto my AF 360 fgz with velcro and mount the flash on a Stroboframe Flip bracket. I find that this set up retains more flash power than bouncing the light but still softens the light considerably. My softbox was made by Photoflex, but I can't find it with a quick web search now. Perhaps they don't make it any more. I did find a knock off which appears similar @ http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Inflatable-Universal-Diffuser-External/dp/B001GRU1AA

01-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just a suggestion and I'm not trying to start a fight....but if you bump up the FEC, then you would have more power in the flash and be happy with the bounce. The only way to get softer light is to enlarge the source. Diffusers really don't make the source that much larger than the straight flash so bouncing should "almost" always be your main objective. Unless outside of course.....
One caveat is to make sure the bounce is flagged so there is no spill coming onto the subject.
Actually after re reading the OP, you're limited in where you can bounce with the 360. I forgot about the fixed head and why I hate mine so much.
01-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
<snip> The only way to get softer light is to enlarge the source. Diffusers really don't make the source that much larger than the straight flash so bouncing should "almost" always be your main objective. <snip> Actually after re reading the OP, you're limited in where you can bounce with the 360. I forgot about the fixed head and why I hate mine so much.
I'll certainly agree that the only way to get "Softer" light from a flash unit is to increase the size of the source. I've even been known to shoot my older AF280T through a 36" umbrella. I'll also agree that under good circumstances, bouncing the flash is the best.
However, for a general, multipurpose set up, I find that putting my AF360fgz up on the Stroboframe Flip (several inches further up above the lens in either orientation) drops the shadows down, making them less noticeable. This isn't too bad by itself, but if I'll be shooting people, I want softer light still. Then I'll add my Photoflex inflatable soft box (aka the pillow). This increases the size of the source from 1 X 2 1/4 inches to 5 1/2 X 8 inches and does substantially soften the source while still having it point directly at my subject (for maximum flash power). It also keeps the source directly over the lens to keep those shadows in line. The previously suggested Lumiquest bouncers work OK in landscape but if you shoot in portrait orientation, your light source moves to the side far enough to skew the shadows. (Yes, I have used two different Lumiquest fold ups, but prefer the pillow)
01-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

What about a 'GaryFong Colapsable LightSphere'?

01-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
What about a 'GaryFong Colapsable LightSphere'?
I don't know much about the GF Lightsphere. I've heard several good comments about it's light diffusion quality. Does it really collapse to take up minimal space or does it have to retain it's "bowl" shape?
01-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Real men put velcro on their flash.

But to answer your question Lumiquest makes some great products. I just bought the Lumiquest Softbox LTP for my Metz 58 and the Big Bounce for my Metz 45. Both produce terrific results, but that's because they're big. Lumiquest does make some smaller softboxes too, but you're shortchanging yourself if you go too small IMO. And yes, they make a velcro strap.

The GF Lightsphere works well indoors when there are walls nearby, but when you're outdoors you end up wasting about 80% of your light with nothing near by off of which to bounce. Same with Stofens.
01-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
but when you're outdoors you end up wasting about 80% of your light with nothing near by off of which to bounce.
That's what I figured.