Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Old thread I know, but I've just ordered one from GI - came to 91 inc. P&P which is a damned sight cheaper than other flashes with its capabilities. Hope it arrives in the 10-15 days they quote; I've got a wedding to shoot in three weeks and I've won the contract to photograph the local university's Fresher Week parties a couple of weeks after that and it'd be good to have time to practise with it first.

The few reviews I found online are favourable and I'll give my opinions here when it arrives and I've had a chance to get used to it. Until now I've been using and very happy with a YN560, but I like the idea of not having to constantly adjust and chimp when shooting dynamic subjects in different lighting conditions.

Last edited by wildweasel; 08-25-2012 at 09:38 AM.
08-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
Old thread I know, but I've just ordered one from GI - came to 91 inc. P&P which is a damned sight cheaper than other flashes with its capabilities. Hope it arrives in the 10-15 days they quote; I've got a wedding to shoot in three weeks and I've won the contract to photograph the local university's Fresher Week parties a couple of weeks after that and it'd be good to have time to practise with it first.

The few reviews I found online are favourable and I'll give my opinions here when it arrives and I've had a chance to get used to it. Until now I've been using and very happy with a YN560, but I like the idea of not having to constantly adjust and chimp when shooting dynamic subjects in different lighting conditions.
Let me know how it goes... This is still a flash I might be tempted to go for... I also am still using YN560 as I just haven't been able to justify the expense of P-TTL flashes...
08-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Hi, deferred purchase of the AF50 since a Sigma EF 530 Super came my way and price was too good to pass up.
Good luck on the AF50 and as with any flashes, I found out (from instruction manual of Sigma) that you can't just go heavily using these flashes and must give it a rest unless you want to burn it out.
Even Sigma gave a fair warning about using flashes heavily.
09-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #49
Inactive Account

It's arrived - just over a week, not bad at all from HK. It's much smaller than my YN560 and doesn't feel quite as well made but is sturdy enough for the price. Everything is working as it should and the few test shots I've tried have shown me that it needs dialling down a little, maybe 1 stop. Zoom works well and it charges fast with rechargables - I've not timed it but it seems comparable with the '560, so fast enough. The quick mount system works well, the tilt and swivel are both positive and solid, though the battery door is, as always, a little flimsy; not too much of a problem really but something to be aware of.

BTW for other Brits, Maplin often have a sale on these batteries (Extra-High Capacity Rechargeable Batteries : Rechargeable Batteries : Maplin Electronics) where they sell 12 2000mAh AAs for 18. I got a dozen a month or so ago and I'd say they've got a least an equal capacity to eneloops and seem to recharge flashes a tiny bit faster.

09-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Thanks for the added info on this.
I wonder if it works on the K-30 since from what I have read, there are now Metz and even Sigma flashes that may no longer work with the K-30.
Metz provides support for their flashes and from this forum, I believe, would update their firmware.
I haven't read anything about Sigma yet if they would provide an update for the owners have to send in their flash copies for it to be updated.
09-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #51

I just bit the bullet and ordered a AF50 to work with my K-30. Let's hope it works fine!

Last edited by Nagimaru; 09-18-2012 at 09:10 PM.
09-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Well, good luck and I hope too that it works since a lot of the old flashes don't work with the K30 except for the Pentax brand itself of flashes.
09-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #53
Inactive Account

I'm going to write a full review of this flash soon, but the long and short of it is - total waste of money. Ignore what I said before; the refresh rate is crap, the test button is perfectly placed and so sensitive that, if you you have eyebrows, you'll fire the flash by mistake every time you lift the camera to your face (don't forget that shit refresh rate...), the quick release thing quick-releases constantly if you're inconsiderate enough to both have a nose AND want to shoot in portrait, and the whole thing is flimsier than a very flimsy thing. It nearly cost me some good shots at the wedding I covered today. I am so pleased I had a YN560 with me. In my opinion: 1/2 the cost of a decent flash wasted. You get what you pay for. In this case, I bought a shiny black box full of effluvia. And that's before I start on battery life - TF I took 7 sets of AAs with me is all I have to say about that.

Anyone want to buy an AF50? I'll give you a tenner to take it away.

Edit. To be fair, as long as you ask very little of it it's ok, but as soon as you need to use it in any way remotely professionally, you can do much better by buying a cheap manual flash and learning to use it properly. Thank FSM I had done exactly that.

Last edited by wildweasel; 09-14-2012 at 05:36 PM.
09-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the review!!

I reckon I'll steer well clear mate!

Thankfully I've been slack on pulling the trigger due to already owning 2 manual flashes (Yongnuo YN560 & Vivitar hv285) that both work great - P-TTL would be nice but looks like it comes at a premium, so it'll wait a while longer...
09-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #55

Alrighty my flash arrived today and after playing with it with my K-30 for an hour I've come to a few conclusions.

Take note this is my first flash so don't take it as professional opinion!

1) I find the refresh rate OK, but probably not for quick bursts of many shots as professionals do.
2) P-TTL DOES WORK with the K-30 HOWEVER
3) HSS does not work with the K-30. This really sucks as I intended to use this for some macro work. Thankfully I still have my K-R to work with the flash.
4) It does feel abit plasticky but the build quality is alright.
5) With reference to wildweasel's post but I personally don't fire the flash when I bring the camera to my face, so I guess might be a case-to-case basis with how you hold the camera to shoot.

All I can say is, if you have a K-30 and wish to buy this flash for the HSS, DON'T. Hopefully Pentax or ICorp releases a new firmware to correct the issue.

If you are an amateur (like me) looking for a cheap flash to work with your Pentax camera I'd say give this a serious look
but as they say, you get what you pay for so don't expect it to perform like a $400 one.
09-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #56
Veteran Member

So HSS doesn't work on the K-30.
There is no use in paying the extra cash if it would behave like a regular 3rd party P-TTL flash.
One of the come-ons on buying this is because it has HSS..then it sucks if it doesn't work.
Thanks Nagimaru!
09-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
So HSS doesn't work on the K-30.
There is no use in paying the extra cash if it would behave like a regular 3rd party P-TTL flash.
One of the come-ons on buying this is because it has HSS..then it sucks if it doesn't work.
Thanks Nagimaru!

Oh well someone had to take the plunge sooner or later haha

As Kai from DigitalRevTV once said: "Life is all about buying stuff only to realise it's shit.
09-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #58
Forum Member

Does HSS work with the K-5?
09-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I think most of these flashes including Sigma EF series and Metz only fail in dedication or function with the K-30.
Since the K-30 came out, a lot of the third party flashes needed a firmware update for it to work properly with the K-30.
It has been reported here and confirmed in the forum that even the Sigma EF-530 DG Super doesn't function properly with the new K-30.
Metz has been working on an update on their firmwares so it would work on the K-30.
I have no news whether Sigma is doing the same of if one can send in their flashes so Sigma can update the firmware.
09-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #60
Forum Member

Since all these flashes seem to work with all the other Pentax bodies. Wouldn't it make sense that the K-30 is the one that needs the firmware update?