Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #1

Off camera flash options

I originally decided to get a P-TTL wireless that can be master or slave (Sigma EX-530 DG Super). However I am wondering about getting a setup that does not need line of sight.

From what I understand, that means optical slaves are out? And Infrared could work but only up to 15-30 feet, so say 10-15 feet if there's anything in the way? Radio that does P-TTL are probably too expensive? Any other options?

I'm wanting something foolproof and easier, where I can basically position the flash, decide camera settings as normal, click the shutter.

I prefer one where I can turn off my camera's built-in flash if I want, or keep it on so both go off.

Weight/bulk matters somewhat.

I'm ok with a flash that can't be used on-camera, if that matters. I think that can help the cost because I don't need it to be a master? But someday I might want a second flash if I could afford it.

If there's nothing better with reasonable price, I'll get my original choice.

01-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the flash will stay within a reasonably short distance from the camera, you can get the hot shoe adapters with the long cable. That way you keep all the automation and P-TTL and can place the flash anywhere. Technically you can combine adapters to get a greater length but that can get expensive also.
01-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kitty Quote
Radio that does P-TTL are probably too expensive?
I am not aware of any radio solutions that use P-TTL. You can use the Pentax wireless, (which is optical) using either the built in flash or a hot shoe flash that can act as a master to trigger the remote P-TTL flash. Not all P-TTL flashes can act as masters so be cautious when buying. Or you can use the wired solution as suggested above. Or you can fore-go P-TTL and use one of the many manual flash triggering systems available.

For some additional information on using flashes check out the strobist site. It really depends on what your needs are. If you are setting a static shoot, where things or models will not move much and the lighting will not change as in a studio then manual works just fine. P-TTL is better if conditions are changing a lot or if you are not willing or able to fiddle with setting up the manual flashes.
01-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
So unless I'm willing to do manual, the options are:

P-TTL wireless (I'd get that Sigma)
or using cords

Not much of an option. Cords would be good in a studio, but I guess I'd go with P-TTL wireless.

01-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And Infrared could work but only up to 15-30 feet, so say 10-15 feet if there's anything in the way?
Infrared is light, so optical
01-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sadly there are no radio options for pTTL at the moment. Pocket Wizard and Qflash have some options for Canon and Nikon, but we're not that special. My advice: embrace manual flash, and then you can use radio triggers, and you'll enjoy the consistency that comes with it.
01-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

So unless I'm willing to do manual, the options are:
Limited...

If you're not willing to do manual, off-camera flash is probably not going to do much for you TBH...

That said, don't let working in manual mode put you off... it really is very easy...

Get a flash (PTTL if you're going to use it on camera too) and some Cactus triggers (V5 are best, I use V4's)... You can get more re/tran-ceivers are you get more flashes...

01-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
If you're not willing to do manual, off-camera flash is probably not going to do much for you TBH...
That's an overstatement. Lots of people only use the in-camera wireless system.
01-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That's an overstatement. Lots of people only use the in-camera wireless system.
Maybe, but my point is that not being able to use flash off-camera in manual mode will limit her (her being the OP)...