Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One-Flood Light Umbrella Kit Review

We've just posted our first lighting review on the homepage: in it, we compare two single-floodlight umbrella lighting kits from Impact and Lowel.

Impact 1-Floodlight Umbrella Kit - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Good review, Adam but those bulb life are awfully short aren't they, 300 hours for a quartz halogen lamp is very poor. If I was to build a lighting kit with AC lamps, I could probably whip up 3 or possibly 4 for the price of one Lowel kit using halogen construction lamps as the light source. If I use LED lamps, probably 2 kits could be built with light output equaling that of the Lowel. LED would be the better way to go - long lamp life (8-12,000hr rated), much less heat generated and best of all, only a fraction of the energy footprint as compared to either of the reviewed lighting systems.
01-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Good review, Adam but those bulb life are awfully short aren't they, 300 hours for a quartz halogen lamp is very poor. If I was to build a lighting kit with AC lamps, I could probably whip up 3 or possibly 4 for the price of one Lowel kit using halogen construction lamps as the light source. If I use LED lamps, probably 2 kits could be built with light output equaling that of the Lowel. LED would be the better way to go - long lamp life (8-12,000hr rated), much less heat generated and best of all, only a fraction of the energy footprint as compared to either of the reviewed lighting systems.
LEDs have their own problems when it comes to photography because they tend to have very narrow spectrums (for photography you really want a full spectrum light). Back in the day, we used to use blue photoflood lamps in reflectors. This was back in the 70s, the bulbs cost something like 5 dollars each and if they lasted 8 hours it was amazing.
People are always trying to find ways to cheap out at this stuff, and ultimately it is a mistake. If you want a decent light, buy a decent studio light from a company that makes decent studio lights.
Photogenic, Paul Buff, etc all make good stuff that isn't horribly expensive, but also isn't cheap and cheerful junk.
01-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
LEDs have their own problems when it comes to photography because they tend to have very narrow spectrums (for photography you really want a full spectrum light). Back in the day, we used to use blue photoflood lamps in reflectors. This was back in the 70s, the bulbs cost something like 5 dollars each and if they lasted 8 hours it was amazing.
People are always trying to find ways to cheap out at this stuff, and ultimately it is a mistake. If you want a decent light, buy a decent studio light from a company that makes decent studio lights.
Photogenic, Paul Buff, etc all make good stuff that isn't horribly expensive, but also isn't cheap and cheerful junk.
LED lamps are already being utilized as photographic studio lights, simple search of B&H or Vistek will show you many kits available. All of the latest LED and CFL have lamps with colour temperature of 6500K - recognized by the lighting industry as being "full spectrum" - readily available in most lighting stores. By using these off the shelf lamps, sturdy light stands, and good quality light modifiers such as umbrellas and soft boxes, an energy efficient, DIY home studio lighting set up can be produced for less than what it would cost to buy those incandescent single lamp lighting kits Adam reviewed.

01-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
LED lamps are already being utilized as photographic studio lights, simple search of B&H or Vistek will show you many kits available. All of the latest LED and CFL have lamps with colour temperature of 6500K - recognized by the lighting industry as being "full spectrum" - readily available in most lighting stores. By using these off the shelf lamps, sturdy light stands, and good quality light modifiers such as umbrellas and soft boxes, an energy efficient, DIY home studio lighting set up can be produced for less than what it would cost to buy those incandescent single lamp lighting kits Adam reviewed.
Thanks. I did not know that.
01-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Glad to hear someone's appreciating the work we've done with these lighting products.

Next week, I hope to have a video review for you of some more studio stuff

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought the Impact Lighting system you featured from a gal on Craig's List. NIB for $25.00. I got a chance to use it a few days ago and I really like it. However, it came without a bulb, so I used a regular, 100-watt incandescent bulb with the expected results.... lots of yellowish tint. But, with some PP, I was able to correct it. I love the nice, soft, even light.

I'm going to get a better bulb, but I'm not sure what kind (Kelvin value, wattage, etc.) to get. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Dewman; 03-25-2015 at 04:35 PM.
07-03-2014, 05:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great review, as always. Thanks!

Regarding LEDs, they do have narrow spectrum, but most current "white" LEDs are blue lights with a phosphor coating to absorb the blue light and re-emit with a wider spectrum.

One thing not quite taken into account in the review is the size of the provided umbrellas. 27" and 43" will deliver radically different illumination patterns, especially if used from the same distance relative to the subject. that can be seen in the sample shot of the little girl.

Last edited by bdery; 07-03-2014 at 05:29 AM.