Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Vivitar 285 Help - Won't Fire

I recently obtained a Vivitar 285 HV. It has been modified with a metal Shoe and a sync Cable attached to the front where the dial used to be. I have a few others and all is well with them. However This one seems to have an issue. I can power it on either with new fresh battaries or a AC adapter. It sounds like it is charging up and the lights on the back turn green like they are supposed to. I put my optical slave in the PC port on the sync cable and nothing fires when I fire another flash off. The foot no longer has a little red button due to being replaced. Is this thing dead? Is there something I am doing wrong? do I need to hook it up to something else? I will not put it on my Nikon I just want to slave it

Any advice would help.

02-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

well, you could short the contacts on the foot, with a wire. Or on the PC cable, with a small screwdriver.
The voltage on the 285 hv is just 4,2V. I just measured that on mine. So it's safe for the new cameras. An for you too

When the PC cable is inserted in the flash unit, it should override the shoe contacts. If it's modified, I don't know.

Last edited by octavmandru; 02-05-2012 at 10:41 PM.