Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Does it swivel more than 90 degrees to the right? This is one of my peeves with the original... Will buy this one if it can swivel like the AF540
only 90 to the right, 180 to the left. I have to agree with you...when I shoot in portrait orientation, being able to bounce slightly behind would be nice. But realistically, this isn't an "on camera" flash.

03-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Does it swivel more than 90 degrees to the right? This is one of my peeves with the original... Will buy this one if it can swivel like the AF540
I know what you mean. It would be preferable if it could swivel 180º to the right, rather than the left. In portrait orientation, if the camera is pointed down, it's not possible to get the flash pointing straight up at the ceiling for bounce. I run into this situation a lot while shooting my nephews.
03-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
only 90 to the right, 180 to the left. I have to agree with you...when I shoot in portrait orientation, being able to bounce slightly behind would be nice. But realistically, this isn't an "on camera" flash.
We dont have any other on camera flash that recycles in 3 seconds though

QuoteQuote:
I know what you mean. It would be preferable if it could swivel 180º to the right, rather than the left. In portrait orientation, if the camera is pointed down, it's not possible to get the flash pointing straight up at the ceiling for bounce. I run into this situation a lot while shooting my nephews.
Not just the small ones. Often times I want to shoot from a higher position because it's more flattering for some people. AF 540 recycle times really limit my shooting speed. Sometimes subjects would give a nice expression when the 540 is recharging

Honestly this is my only remaining gripe with Pentax; everything else (other than SDM) have been fixed. A 540 refresh is desperately needed D:
03-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I appreciate your explaining how the optical slave works - I didn't realize this flash had that capability.

So with that said, I like the idea of first purchasing 1 cactus v5 set ( one pair) and still be able to use 2 YN560II's at the same time.
If you get 1 pair you will only be able to use 1 flash. One cactus is a transmitter and the other one is receiver.
Unless you use a cable and hook up both flashes to one trigger, you will need 3 Cactus v5 to use 2 flashes.

03-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
If you get 1 pair you will only be able to use 1 flash. One cactus is a transmitter and the other one is receiver.
Unless you use a cable and hook up both flashes to one trigger, you will need 3 Cactus v5 to use 2 flashes.
His point was that he can use the optical slave to trigger the other flash. So, 1 v5 on the camera, 1 v5 on the first flash set to Manual, and the second flash set to Slave. Voila!
03-17-2012, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

On a side note, it pains me that this thread is becoming popular, and yet is horrendously misspelled. Can we do anything about this?
06-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #37

Hi,

To this flash buyers, i would like to know if, when ordering it, you need to specify you have a Pentax camera, or if thsi flash is compatible with all systems (pentax, nikon, canon).

That would be nice since I'm also looking for adding a Canon FF to my gear.
Thanks

06-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #38
Veteran Member

It should be compatible with everything. As it's fully manual it doesn't communicate with the camera at all, other than to trigger the flash.
07-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I was just about to order my second YN560 and saw there was a II. Guess i'll have a I and a II. Guess i'll learn how the lcd will effect battery life
07-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #40
Pentaxian

How does this compares to af360fgz?
07-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
How does this compares to af360fgz?
Two different animals. The 360 is an auto TTL, the yn560 is a manual flash but with more power
08-05-2012, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Forum Member

Just wanted to add that the Yongnuo RF-603 transcievers are EXCELLENT. I own six. They are not only transmitter and receiver in one (completely interchangeable), but they are also RF remote shutter releases. I used it that way last fall to do self-engagement-portraits with my fiance when my friend was suddenly unavailable the day we had arranged to do it. One remote in my hand, one on the camera with a cable to the remote port, and another on a remote flash for fill light on an overcast day. The pictures looked so great that nobody believed they were self-portraits until I showed them an outtake with the remote visible.

Just make sure you get the ones that are labeled for Canon because that comes with the right cable for the Pentax remote.

Oh, also, these things do ttl-passthrough for on-camera flash. Doesn't do ttl for the remote units, though. I've never tried it with a Pentax flash, but they list the Canon units as being compatible with Pentax, and the pins seem to line up. You can use Nikon or Canon units if all you want is a remote flash and don't need the remote shutter as well, and won't be using on-camera ttl flash. I tested both kinds (I bought mine before I switched back to Pentax; I had a Nikon and a Canon G10, and I used a Canon 30D at the studio where I was working) and they both fire just fine with Pentax.

At weddings I set up my G10 as a remotely located camera (overhead view of the dance floor, for instance), and it triggers the remote flashes just like the one on my handheld cameras. It's a beautiful system!!
08-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by intjonmiller Quote
Just wanted to add that the Yongnuo RF-603 transcievers are EXCELLENT. I own six. They are not only transmitter and receiver in one (completely interchangeable), but they are also RF remote shutter releases. I used it that way last fall to do self-engagement-portraits with my fiance when my friend was suddenly unavailable the day we had arranged to do it. One remote in my hand, one on the camera with a cable to the remote port, and another on a remote flash for fill light on an overcast day. The pictures looked so great that nobody believed they were self-portraits until I showed them an outtake with the remote visible.

Just make sure you get the ones that are labeled for Canon because that comes with the right cable for the Pentax remote.

Oh, also, these things do ttl-passthrough for on-camera flash. Doesn't do ttl for the remote units, though. I've never tried it with a Pentax flash, but they list the Canon units as being compatible with Pentax, and the pins seem to line up. You can use Nikon or Canon units if all you want is a remote flash and don't need the remote shutter as well, and won't be using on-camera ttl flash. I tested both kinds (I bought mine before I switched back to Pentax; I had a Nikon and a Canon G10, and I used a Canon 30D at the studio where I was working) and they both fire just fine with Pentax.

At weddings I set up my G10 as a remotely located camera (overhead view of the dance floor, for instance), and it triggers the remote flashes just like the one on my handheld cameras. It's a beautiful system!!
The RF-603s do not work with Pentax at all. I bought a pair, partially based on this comment, and they are incompatible with Pentax's hotshoe. The older RF-602s do work with Pentax cameras and flashes.

Last edited by Docrwm; 08-18-2012 at 06:19 PM.
08-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I am looking to add a flash unit to my camera bag... would this be a good starter flash? mostly will be doing indoor shots... Learning the ways of the flash..

Thoughts?
08-07-2012, 04:12 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
I am looking to add a flash unit to my camera bag... would this be a good starter flash? mostly will be doing indoor shots... Learning the ways of the flash..

Thoughts?
As I understand it this flash is completely manual. I went with a very slightly more expensive Tumax flash that is TTL as my starter flash.