Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #1

compact HSS?

All I want in a flash is HSS since I like taking macro shots but the only non junk macro shots I ever get are the ones with 1/400 or shorter exposure time. And as we know the built-in flash can only shoot at 1/180 which just does not work for me (although the built in flash's power seems to be enough for me, only the absense of HSS is what makes it unacceptable).

I went with Metz 58af-1, but now I realize it's just too huge for me. On my K-x it just looks silly, not mentioning the fact that it's so heavy I am worrying the hot shoe to accidentally break from its weight, so I can't just keep it on all the time. And when I have to spend half a minute mounting a flash, any potential shot is gone by the time I do that.

I though about getting the smaller Pentax 360 FGZ flash but it turned out it is not much smaller and lighter than Metz 58 according to the specs.

So, does the alternative exists at all or there are no compact HSS flashes in existance?

02-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
try reducing the flash output to 1/16 or less, it will give you a shorter flash burst (freezing the subject) although it does really depend on what your shooting. IE water drop macros uses this technique to freeze the splash.
02-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would say a good sturdy tripod would do as much to improve the quality of your macro shots as a HSS flash. But if you really want to hand hold, you could buy an Orbis and use your existing Metz, then all you need is a TTL cord and you can shoot at 1/8000th or whatever your camera's max shutter speed is.
02-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest that you work on your technique. No accessory you can buy will magically give you amazing shots. With the right thinking and techniques, the pop-up flash gives perfectly acceptable shots. In fact, I'd say easily professional sellable shots.

Here's a link to my insect stuff. All these were shot with the pop up flash. Not only that, but fully manual aperture and manual focus.