Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
High voltage flash + optical trigger

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey Pentaxian, I've got a little question.

I have a few old (read very old) flashed that I would like to use for home studio stuff (OK, mostly for fun). I tested the voltage, and it's pretty high, almost 200v. So, I know I better no try to use it on the camera. That was not the plan anyway.

Question is : Can I use cheap wireless trigger to trigger those type of flashes ? Will the flash burn the wireless receiver?

Also, could I use an optical trigger instead? Would that be safe no matter the voltage of the flash? Here is an example of an optical trigger I would like to try : optical trigger.

I'm also thinking of using that accessory with an old Vivitar 285, should be fun.

Thank you in advance for your help!

02-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Hey Pentaxian, I've got a little question.

I have a few old (read very old) flashed that I would like to use for home studio stuff (OK, mostly for fun). I tested the voltage, and it's pretty high, almost 200v. So, I know I better no try to use it on the camera. That was not the plan anyway.

Question is : Can I use cheap wireless trigger to trigger those type of flashes ? Will the flash burn the wireless receiver?

Also, could I use an optical trigger instead? Would that be safe no matter the voltage of the flash? Here is an example of an optical trigger I would like to try : optical trigger.

I'm also thinking of using that accessory with an old Vivitar 285, should be fun.

Thank you in advance for your help!
It depends on the triggers you are using. Some are okay, some will burn out. You have to do some searching, at this point, anything that has been out a while will have plenty of postings if there is a problem.

A Wein Safe Sync will allow you to use any trigger with your flashes.
02-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I can confirm, having talked to the company, that Yongnuo YN-04 II will work up to 300V. I also have the exact same optical trigger (bought on dealextreme) and there is no voltage limit to these devices. They are trickier to use, but they're safe.
02-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I also have the exact same optical trigger (bought on dealextreme) and there is no voltage limit to these devices. They are trickier to use, but they're safe.
I'm intrigued as to why you say they are trickier to use, do you find them unreliable?

Thank you for your helpful information.

02-16-2012, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
I'm intrigued as to why you say they are trickier to use, do you find them unreliable?
No, they are reliable, but there are limits and you must work with them. The sensor must be well oriented to detect the source light, but at the same time they are sensitive so they could not be used, for instance, when two photographers work side by side. I've never had timing issues with mine.
02-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I understand! I plan on using them exclusively indoors, mostly for family shoots and real estate, I guess light should be able to bounce around enough for the light sensor to pick it up.
Well, thank you again for your input, very relevant.