Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #1

Looking for a Basic Hotshoe Mount Flash

I'm looking for a basic hotshoe mount flash to use on my K-r. Nothing fancy, but want a tilt and swivel head and reasonably quick refresh time. I don't know a lot about flashes so something easy to use that will allow me to bounce and get good results indoors is great.

The Metz 44 AF-1 and 50 AF-1 look like nice flashes and seem to offer more functionality than the Pentax AF-360 for about the same price. Any reason not to go with the Metz?

Also, anyone have any experience or opinions on the Bower SFD926P?

Again, I don't need anything super fancy; no "studio work" here... mainly taking pictures of family, kids, etc. and also want to take some informal shots of inanimate objects indoors. I'm looking at option on the P-TTL flash comparison page, but not exactly sure what are the best options for me and there's nothing on there about the Bowers either.

Thanks!

02-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think you should try the AF280T. Its inexpensive, small, and features a neat auto mode
02-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you're willing to learn how to use manual settings, give the yongnuo yn560 and yn560ii a look.
02-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Closed Account

I second the Yongnuo YN560!!!

02-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #5

I have the Metz 50 AF-1 for my KX and really like it. It offers a lot for the money and if you every decide you want to go off-camera, it gives you that option. Using P-TTL is a good choice if you are going to be taking family shots, because it adjusts itself as the scenes and lighting changes.

As many of the reviews mentioned, the LCD menu is a little awkward but becomes easier to use the more you use it.

Here is a link to reviews if you want more info:
Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1 digital reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews
02-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The Sigma flashes are pretty well respected and a good value for the buck. I bought mine from Sigma4Less (sister site to Photo4Less).

Shoe Mount Flashes, Canon 430EX Flash, Canon SB600 | Photo 4 Less | Flashes | Shoe Mount Flashes

I recommned you get the most powerful you can afford, as the power will allow you to use bounce flash and other modifiers, which both eat light.

Tim