Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Flash in auto mode

I always wished that I could use AF540FGZ in auto mode while using the camera in apperture or shutter priority modes. It was annoying to see that the flash reverted back to PTTL mode when you press the shutter button. Recently I by chance discovered a work around.

If you first put the camera in manual mode, then the flash in auto mode, later turn the dial on the camera to choose apperture priority it seems to stay in auto mode. I have K200D, haven't tried this on K20D.

Like to know what others find.

03-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Please excuse my ignorance, but what benefit do you get from this work-round please?
03-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
It is widely believed (and I find it to be true) that Pentax has the least reliable of newer TTL systems. Unacceptable level of inconsistencies. Yes, I understand that a shiny object in the field can cause significant underexposure. It is not possible to scout for every reflective object in the field. Auto mode gives more reliable consistent exposure.
03-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Metz flashes, at least the ones that I have (54MZ, 40MZ with appropriate SCA modules), have "smart auto" mode: set the camera in auto, and it will take the ISO and the aperture settings from the camera. When the flash is ready to fire, if the camera is in Av mode (the only mode I use besides M), the flash will set shutter speed on the camera between 1/30 and 1/180, depending on the focal length of the lens.

Also, it's known that p-TTL in Pentax K20D and older DSLRs is very unreliable. It is significantly improved starting with the K-7.

The AF540FGZ tries to go back to p-TTL whenever it has a chance. This is very annoying.

I don't have my 540 here to test, but as I remember, if you manage to set the flash to auto, and the camera to Tv, the camera will take the settings from the flash, which is the reverse from the way Metz flashes work. I'm not sure if I would call this "smart auto."

03-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought auto was when the flash itself used a sensor built into some flash units, and measured reflected light ?
is this what we are talking about here ?
03-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
I thought auto was when the flash itself used a sensor built into some flash units, and measured reflected light ?
is this what we are talking about here ?
Yes. Yes.
03-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the metz 50 on mine and unfortunately it doesnt give me the option for simple auto.
I used it for a christning last wk. it managed but i wasnt overly impressed. Luckily i shot RAW which gave enough leeway to put things on an acceptable level.
Ive used a few Auto flash guns in the past and tested them with a flash meter. I tried 2 vivitar guns which were very inaccurate and inconsistant.
The one flash I did try and bought and was superb and was spot on accuracy was the metz CLT 1 hammerhead !
If i was looking to go down this road, this would be the gun for me ! Well .... watever the latest version is now called lol.
If I remember correctly the only place it was out was F16 and that was only one third of a stop. Thats very very impressive !
PS.... Thank you SOldBear