Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF-360FGZ on Program A/Super Program

According to the manual of the mentioned flash, TTL is not supported. However, when I put it on my Super A set to P with the aperture on automatic and the flash to P-TTL, it switches the camera to its 1/125s flash-sync speed, the aperture to 5.6 and shows the lightning symbol when the flash is charged. The lens used is the A 50/1.7.
These are exactly the same values as the old and dedicated AF280T in TTL-mode produces in the viewfinder of the camera. So it looks like the AF-360FGZ behaves like the old TTL after all. No indications that something goes wrong. Anyway I didn't notice any preflash as the camera wouldn't know what to do with that.
I made some identical pics with both flash units but it will take a while before the film gets back from the lab.
Can anyone comment on the expected results?

03-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I have that flash too... but my sycs at 1/180 (K2000).
03-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
the flash AF360 is aroung 30GN with a 50mm, and the 280 is 28GN with 28mm lens.

They are both, more or less, the same power. This explain i guess why they both set the same parameters for the picture in P mode.
03-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I didn't think of it in this way, in my opinion the 280 is a fair amount weaker than the 360... But setting these parameters means that communication takes place between camera, lens and flash. The question is, does the flash behave as (a) TTL-compatible (P-TTL) while each and everyone states that TTL is not supported?

03-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I think TTL is actually in the firmware, but Pentax just won't provide technical support.
03-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I can live with that! So not providing support is something else as the feature not working as defined.
That means that I can travel with only one flash instead of two when taking the Super A along with the digital one.
But I'll wait for the testresults to confirm...

BTW, the Program A does not support TTL, the Super A does.
03-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Results comparing AF280T and AF-360FGZ in TTL-mode on a Super A: identical!
Here are the (unprocessed) scanned results from the AF280T, no need to double them:

Straight flash

45 degrees bounce

90 degrees bounce
03-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Well, I don't know about your manual, but I just checked my AF360FGZ Operating Manual. On page 26 & 27 there is a full write up of using the AF360FGZ in TTL mode with various cameras, including the Super A. Also check out the chart on pages 19 - 21. TTL is a function of the camera and this flash is compatable.

03-25-2012, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Crap, you are right! I found the table on a different page in the Dutch manual, I read it once but is easy to miss. Usually the English version is preferred but this was a single booklet, the English version was combined with French, German and Italian and maybe even Spanish so I put it in the box. Since I don't have (had) an ist D, ist DS or ist DS2 I just skipped any passage relating to them and indeed there it is mentioned that TTL is displayed on the LCD.
But I assure you that any shop I investigated, also in online specs given, state that only P-TTL is supported. It kind of feel a bit pissed now for not reading the manual at least TWICE.

Anyway, my little test confirms what is in the manual after all
08-10-2018, 07:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Twarp Quote
Crap, you are right! I found the table on a different page in the Dutch manual, I read it once but is easy to miss. Usually the English version is preferred but this was a single booklet, the English version was combined with French, German and Italian and maybe even Spanish so I put it in the box. Since I don't have (had) an ist D, ist DS or ist DS2 I just skipped any passage relating to them and indeed there it is mentioned that TTL is displayed on the LCD.
But I assure you that any shop I investigated, also in online specs given, state that only P-TTL is supported. It kind of feel a bit pissed now for not reading the manual at least TWICE.

Anyway, my little test confirms what is in the manual after all
Yes, the AF-360FGZ is quite an amazing flash. On my oldest Pentax bodies (at least with hot shoes) it can work in Auto mode. On the later TTL bodies (like my Super Program and my PZ-1P) it automatically goes into TTL mode. On the later film bodies that support P-TTL (like my ZX-L and MZ-S), it does that mode. Finally, it works just fine on my digital K-70 in P-TTL. Quite neat.