Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flash virgin seeks advice

Evening folks

Been doing photography for a couple of years now but never used a flash. I'd like to try some still life type stuff and I also have a couple of Maine Coon kittens arriving in a couple of days and I'd like to take some pics of them while they are at maximum cuteness. It would also be nice to do some foreground lighting when I'm doing some of my landscape type stuff. From reading the reviews on the accessories section the Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2 gets some great reviews and its in my price bracket. I would be using the flash with the likes of the FA31, DA40, DA70 and maybe the D-FA100.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice on anything else I should be looking at?

03-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cats (kittens) are notorious for blinking because of the pre flash if you use P-TTL so manual or auto is the mode for them.

DAZ
03-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In addition to the above, a diffuser is a really good idea if you want a natural look to their eyes. There are a million ways to improvise one, the simplest using a sheet of paper, though a quick Google search will turn up better ways.

Please post pics of the kittens when you get them!
03-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers - a diffuser was something I saw bundled with the Metz. It might be an idea to just go with that?

Don't worry - there will undoubtedly be a flurry of kitten pictures coming. Hopefully I'll be able to disentangle the kids from them for long enough to get a snap.

03-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote
a diffuser was something I saw bundled with the Metz. It might be an idea to just go with that?
Disclaimer: I don't own this flash.

Does the Metz come with a diffuser? If it does, this is the first time I know of a diffuser being a supplied accessory to a flash.

Or is it a "wide-angle" panel?
03-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The diffuser is essential or else indirect flash (off camera or bounce). Cats' pupils really have a weird look to them when flashed directly. I have a small "soft box" that I put on the flash that softens the light. If you can bounce the flash off a nearby wall, you can avoid that odd look in their eyes.

I have a pTTL flash (cheapie Bell and Howell Z680) and it works fine, but I have used my Yongnuo YN560 manual flash much more. It does require some experimentation, which might not be great when trying to catch moving kitties. But once you dial in the right level of flash, you should be good for that photo session unless the light changes.

Can't wait to see your pics!
03-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Disclaimer: I don't own this flash.

Does the Metz come with a diffuser? If it does, this is the first time I know of a diffuser being a supplied accessory to a flash.

Or is it a "wide-angle" panel?
Bundled as in 'discounted if bought together' type bundle.

It was the Sto-fen omni-bounce MZ80

03-07-2012, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Here is a very cheap DIY diffuser. I use mine everytime I use a hot shoe mounted flash.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/50941-diy-making-flash-bouncer.html

Here is a website with a lot of great flash bouncing advise.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/flash-photography-tips/

Tim
03-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely experiment with bouncing your flash off of side walls or the wall behind you instead of just overhead. It will create a very different and often more interesting look. Of course it's personal preference, but I am always shooting for light that is soft, yet directional. By bouncing your flash off a side wall, you loose that flatness that come from lighting on-axis.