Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Quantum Turbo Help - Follow up

I posted a thread a couple weeks ago on replacing the Batt's on my newley aquired old Turbo's man they work great. However one of them will not charge. Why not? It has a brand new cell in it and fires the flash perfect. I have one charger that I bought when I got these cause they did not come with one. It works on the other one just fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tadd

03-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The charging circuit is inside the Quantum Turbo. The charger itself is just a dumb 120VAC - 12VDC converter. So the problem is likely NOT in the charger.

What happens when you plug the charger to the Quantum Turbo? Any pilot lamps lights up or flashes?
03-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No lights

When I plug the charger into the turbo no lights light up. I replaced the Batts in both of these last week and were both full charged on arrival. So I never tested the charger. I used one last weekend and charged it full. Then I used this one tonight and went to charge it back up and when I plug in the charger it does nothing. No lights, does not get warm or anything.
03-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It can be something as simple as a solder joint is corroded and the wire comes loose. Open it up and look around, particularly at the connector. Plug in the charger and measure the voltage on the internal side of the plug. Pin 6 should be GND and pin 4 should be 12VDC.

03-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have it apart. How do I measure pin 4 and 6 I only see 5 active pins on the front. Do I need to remove the back cirtut board to get to the back of the plug? I do not see any loose wires on this thing.
03-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK after a little more troubleshooting I decided to plug the other turbo into the Brand New Charger and it will not light up and charge either. Could this charger be bad? I paid like $50 bucks for it.. I would not think it would go out that soon. How can I test the charger? Can I hold the meter on the Pins? Which ones?
03-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Here are some photos that may help.

On the right of the multimeter is the connector from the charger with the case opened to hook up the probes. Note the alignment notch is at 12 o'clock position. Counterclockwise, the first pin after the alignment notch (pin 6) is ground, and the third pin from the notch (pin 4) is power. The AC-DC adapter is rated 12V, but the no-load voltage is about 19V.

For your reference, from the notch, counterclockwise, the pins are numbered 6 (charger ground), 1 (8V output from the battery pack), 4 (charger power), 2 (not used), 5 (330V output from the battery pack), 3 (not used), 7 (battery pack ground). The "not used" pins are cut off (or on the battery pack side, plugged).

I then plugged the charger into the batter pack (no battery cell, however). The voltage measured at the connectors that would be connected to the 832 battery cell is about 17V. Note one of the amber pilot lamps (electric plug symbol) is on, showing there is power from the charger. The other amber pilot lamp (pyramid symbol) would be flashing during actual charging.

$50 for the charger? I think that's too much. Any AC-DC converter with 12V, 500mA (higher amperage is OK) output will do. The charger in the photos is actually for something else, I just replaced the plug.

Last edited by SOldBear; 03-10-2012 at 01:15 AM.
03-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Charger

I did not take the charger apart like you did but when I plug it in and hold my meter to the 2 pins you identify they do not work. As a follow up it was $40 for the charger.. I did not have the plug type and found this one on e-bay. That said I think the charger is bad already is my guess. It shoudl be putting out some juice and not that it will not charger on either of my units leads me to believe that is the case. I have several old Cell phone chargers would one of those work? I woud just need to move the plug.

03-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by teandrle Quote
I have several old Cell phone chargers would one of those work? I woud just need to move the plug.
Any AC-DC with 12VDC and at least 500mA output will work. I'm using one from my wife's now defunct epilator (shhhhh, don't tell her).

For another charger, instead of replacing the plug, I made a "cable adapter":

Last edited by SOldBear; 03-10-2012 at 06:32 PM.
03-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks

Wanted to say thank you for helping me troubleshoot. I contacted the seller they refunded the money for the charger. I looked all over the house for a simple replacement - no go. I then went to Radioshack and found a $20 12V 500MA replacement. Wired up the plug and ready to go.

Thanks again.

Tadd
03-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Cool! Glad I could help.