Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
flash white balance problem

I sort of asked this once before but when I could not get this to work I thought it was because I was using a gel, but now I have a clone of the equipent used in the video and still cannot replicate this effect

No matter how I try to save a custom wb [I have taken a picture doing what he does or I have in wb manual adjust used shutter to activate ] and I get the blue screen but when I save this I get non of the described in the video effect and I cannot replicate it..

Can some one else try this and then give me the steps to save the wb on a k5 to achieve this colour shift?

03-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do this trick just a little bit differently. I mount the gel on my flash, and then create a white balance by shooting my gray card or color checker passport WB target held by my subject. I also take a picture of my WB target for later use in Lightroom. I shoot in RAW because it gives me maximum flexibility to correct the color. This trick renders the subject neutrally, but sometimes I want my subject to look warmer (which makes the background warmer still), so I'll bump the color temp up by as much as 500 degrees kelvin. Also you probably want to underexpose the background by two stops for extra saturation, and let the flash do the work of lighting your subject correctly

If you're having trouble setting the white balance, you need to go into the WB menu, and arrow down to "manual" then take a shot of your target, then select the area of the picture containing your gray card. I'm not sure about the K5, but on the K20d, you don't do the white balance from an existing photo the way Gary does it here, instead you create a single shot in the white balance menu that the camera doesn't save (i.e. it saves the setting, but not the image itself which is why I follow up with a shot for my own use in post) Hope that helps.
03-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, I cannot get the effect that the video shows no matter what i try, the closest I can get is not to worry about taking any special image but to use a white balance adjustment and alter it as much as the software allows. but is a very mild effect.
there must be some way to "fool" the white balance and set a really strong colour cast that the flash will over come.
03-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes I get a NG message (it's been a while, I think that's what it says) on the LCD of the camera when I try to do a strong white balance indicating that it can't correct that much. It may be that whatever camera Gary is using has more latitude for correction in it's white balance settings than the K5. But you don't have to do it in camera, I shoot in RAW and normally do it in post.

Here's a shot that I did a few weeks ago. I don't think I took the time to set the white balance on location. Lightroom tells me that I used 7150K as my color temp and -26 (green) as my tint in the original. The shot was lit with a Full CTB gel on my Metz 58 AF2. I used high speed sync to underexpose the sky by two stops, my camera settings were ISO 200, 1/1500th @ f/5.6. This was taken using my Sigma 8-16 @ 14mm. Now normally that's not a portrait lens, but it allowed me to get very close to my subjects, which was important because in HSS mode, the flash power is greatly reduced, and the blue gel made it that much worse. To be honest, my subjects were a bit underexposed in the original, but nothing that a little fill adjustment couldn't fix. For the final version, I used the eyedropper tool on a separate frame I shot of my gray card lit with the same flash/gel combination to get my final white balance of 50000K and +23 (magenta).

The keys are:
  • Shoot in RAW
  • Balance from a gray card in post production
  • Underexpose the background and let the flash do the work of correctly exposing your subject
  • Get close to your subject with the flash